Best 8 ohm cab w/ 5 piece band?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Mar 15, 2006.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Currently I'm running an old Eden Wt800 I'm looking for a good 8 ohm cab to go with it. I just joined a 5 piece consisting of 2 guitars, drums, keys, and or course bass. I found the old 410 Ampeg HLF 4 ohm cab just isn't cutting the mustard..or in the mix. With the guitars and keys sometimes it's hard to be heard in the mix. I can EQ it to sound OK but sometimes it gets a little lost. So before I purchase my next cab down the road I'm doing a little research.

212 8 ohm.. Maybe get a good low tone and make sure I'm low and loud under all the other instruments?

410 get an 8 ohm 410 to cut through?

Get 2 cabs both in 4 ohm to run off each side of my head...maybe a 210 and a 212 or 15 to go with it?

I really don't care if it's 10's or 12's ...I'm just looking for the best options for what works best in a 5 piece? Thanks for your suggestions.
  2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    An 8 ohm 410 will give less output than a 4 ohm 410. If your existing 4 ohm 410 isn't giving you enough output, you might consider adding a 4 ohm 15, but only if your amp can drive a load of 2 ohms. If it is only rated at x watts into 4 ohms, you won't be able to add another cabinet, you'll probably be looking at a new amp.
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    FYI...The old WT800 runs 2 stereo outputs at 4 ohms 400 watts per side..or I can bridge the head and get an 8 ohm load at 800 watts.

I think the big problem with the Ampeg is that, it's not all that great of a cab. The ratings and specs are not all that great at all.
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My main question is what speaker conf works best in this situation?
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'd try and get 2 4 ohm cabinets, to run off of each side of the amp. A 2x10, perhaps, and a 2x12, if you can handle the haul. More speaker area = more sound. The 2x10 will cut through (what you need), but the 2x12 will round out your tone a bit. Hope this helps.
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    So right now you're running one side at 4ohms for 400 watts ... if you get an 8 ohm cab you'll bridge and get 800. Thats a big difference right there.

I reccomend the Eden D-410XLT as a classic, proven match with that head that does just what you're asking ... sits correctly in the mix.
  7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Eric and Pickles...I have though about both those options..even a 212 8 ohm. I do like the idead of 10's and 12's...also like just a one cab option.

In a 5 piece with all that stuff going on I wonder if I want to cut in the mix more..or concentrate on being low and loud below everything in the mix?
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I use 2 8 ohm Swr 4x10's with a 5 piece band, 2 gtrs, an alto
    sax and a drummer. It cuts through pretty well. The head I
    have is a SWR SM900 which supports 2 ohms. I have it bridged at
    4 ohms right now.

That old WT800, unfortunately, does not bridge into 4 ohms,
    which I always thought was a real design oversight.

There has been a LOT of discussion of EQ here, and the
    general concensus seems to be that the mids are really what
    you need to cut through.

And to quote Petebass, your EQ playing by yourself, and your
    EQ on stage with a band are two totally different things.
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You have to find your sonic space. IMO, this is where a P-bass really shines. It puts out a lump of bottom end and low mids, a spike of barky top end, and stays out of the rest of the frequencies where guitars and keys tend to live.

Pick the mid frequency you want to exist in, boost there, then ask the guitar players to cut the same frequency a bit.
  10. Steeltoe

Mar 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    My Mesa 2x12 8ohm cab cuts thru better than my old Sunn
    4x10. It has a deep but clear and solid tone that allows
    the mids to really shine. The highs are there too. Give it a try,
    or if you have the juevos, their 4x12 would be even better.
  11. I'd agree with the Eden 410XLT.I've had a 210XLT a few years now and every time I play a gig with it I like the tone whether I use it with another cabinet or by itself.I had a pair of them for a while and think that was as good a rig as I could want.Very prominent mids and great bottom end.
  12. Peavey 410tx...a really great and underrated cab...mines 8ohm 350w, 700w peak