1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 8x10 cab for the least amount of money...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by in2dagrave, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Sick of replacing speakers in my carvin 8x10 cab.I want a new 8x10 cab that isnt gonna rape my wallet.Any suggestions?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    used 810e.

3. If you can get your hands on an Ashdown ABM 8x10 cab you won't be disappointed.

4. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    +1. may take a little digging but these can be had for as low as 300 bucks.

5. Peavey tvx is pretty awesome.

6. Emergancy Exit

Emergancy Exit

Sep 26, 2007
    Mobile AL
    yeah i suggest a used ampeg 810e i got mine for only $550 gc wanted 750 and i flashed a few hundred dollar bills to the salesman and he got the manager to ok it then had them put it on lay-away and picked it up 2 weeks later

7. Emergancy Exit

Emergancy Exit

Sep 26, 2007
    Mobile AL

other 8x10s i like is basson and a particular GKone but i forgot wich model it was

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    While the RL series Carvins weren't known for durability, if you're blowing drivers in it w/an svt3 pro, you might blow the drivers in pretty much any other 8x10 too. EQ settings?

If flat or slightly attenuated bass with boosted mids ain't your thing, one of the Sonic 8x10s that pop up at Music Go Round stores would probably do just as well as any.

9. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would def go with the 8x10e and its not because im selling mine hahah. Thats just pure coincidence

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I definitely would not recommend the Basson, but I think the G-K you're referring to is the Megoliath - and they're quite good...

- georgestrings

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yup - they're an industry standard for good reason...

- georgestrings

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, those are pretty good, too - and can sometimes be picked up for a decent price...

- georgestrings

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I agree that there may be other reasons you're blowing the speakers in your Carvin. I've had my 4X10 for a very long time and never had a problem with it.

What kind of speakers are you putting in the cab when you replace them? Are you paying attention to the ohms and the wattage ratings?

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I believe the Megoliath is made by SWR. :smug:

Aguilar S810's are incredibly hard to find these days but are some of the best ever made. They're out of production but if you can find one, they're usually around $400 or so.

PS - have your amp checked out before you start blowing speakers in another 8x10!

15. The Megoliath is the SWR 8x10. Damn what a great cabinet. I've been using one for years now. Mine has played hundreds of shows, been loaded in and out of a trailer countless times and even survived a few "throw the cabinet off the stage in a drunken rage" episodes. Not a single problem.Those cabinets truly live up to their name.

Also, the cab is set up so you can run the top 4x10 seperate from the bottom 4x10. This is great if you are in a small club and only want to run half the cab. Or you can use two amplifiers and have different tones out of the top & bottom. I picked mine up used for about $600.00. WORTH EVERY PENNY.

16. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    If you are blowing speakers it's not the cabs fault, you need to find out why.
    Too much EQ, Too much volume, there is something going on with your setup that is not going to be fixed by just changing to another cab.

17. coryt

coryt Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    What about the Traynor TC810? 1600watts, eminence drivers, you can run mono at 4 ohms or run each 4x10 seperately at 8 ohms (2x800 watts). Same dimensions as an ampeg, so it will fit in most ampeg roadcases. The build quality of these cabinets is impeccable, they are built to last. And a lot cheaper than a new ampeg. A little harder to find used, though. Plus, they sound great, I've never read a bad review of one.

18. Looking over your profile and past posts I found that you are in a death metal band, and boost your low end.

I also see how when you first got your carvin 8X10, you were singing it's praises saying it was all you could not find in Ampeg and SWR.

Based upon those older posts, you need to come to the realization that your EQ'ing and volume levels are your own enemy.

Unless you go to a cab like a Basson or Acme, you are going to keep blowing speakers.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, you're absolutely right - I don't know what the heck I was thinking, hahaha!!!

- georgestrings

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Sounds to me like you should have went with a 4X10 and a separate sub ( 1X18, 1X15 etc.), with a bi-ampable head. Or just stay away from the 10" speakers altogether.