1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best acoustic bass guitar under $700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duke2004, Dec 24, 2006.

1. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for a new or easily found used acoustic bass guitar for around $700 or less. Im talking about a wood hollowbody guitar with sound hole to project; it can have a pickup but im interested in its sound without amplification. Thanks for any pointers.

2. A friend of mine has a US made Tacoma Thunderchief with an LR Baggs preamp and original hardshell case for that amount. It is a nice bass. Let me know if you're interested.

3. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I've heard nothing but good things, and had good experiences, with Michael Kelly.

However, the Thunderchiefs are pretty rad.

4. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    i will try to check out a Thundercheif and Kelly somewhere, thanks. The Kellys seem to vary in price from low $300s to upper 700s. Anyone know if that is reflected in the acoustic properties or whether its about higher grade electronics and nicer fit/finish?

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Tacoma Thunderchief is the only ABG I've ever experienced that is usable at all as an acoustic instrument. And, then, it's only usable if you're playing with quiet guitar players. Used, you may find one in your price range. My next acoustic "style" bass guitar is going to be something like a Godin A5 (I wish they made an A6).