Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Acoustic five-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Dec 19, 2002.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok, I don't have the money right now, but this summer I (hope) to be buying an acoustic five string bass (not upright). The best affordable one I have played to date is Tacoma's USA made fretless five with the fishman pre-amp. (about $1000).

What do you think the best acoustic 5 strings out there are? ( particularly under 2 grand)

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Tacoma 4 string and I love it, but I don't think that a "B" string would cut it acoustically. The "E" string as it is loses a lot of fvolume compared to the others.

I have my eye on a Godin A5 personally, but I'd have to use it electrically only, it has no acoustic volume at all.

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have a fretless A5, and while it does not the acoustic volume to go head to head with another instrument (in fact very few ABGs do....I know, I know, Tacoma does...or so you say, but my experiences prove otherwise), it does have plenty of volume and tone for sans-amp practicing.
    Plugged in, even to a very modest amp, the Godin A series basses have superb tone, which, IMHO, stands head and shoulders above the rest. The design also prohibits annoying low end rumble and feedback.
    Absolutely killer basses!
    Max

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I also have the Tacoma five string, and have to say that it is an incredible bass. The low b is a bit lacking though. A bit floppy and muddy, but that could very well be the strings.

Other than that it is killer.

Peace
    Nick

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :confused:
    As my name suggests, I will only sacrifice the fifth string if its impossible to get a decent tone from one on acoustic-I only like a four if I'm slapping, and who does that on an acoustic? I'm mostly after the warmer acousic tone.
    What strings are you using for your tacoma Nick? I know tacoma ships with elixirs by default, and from what I know elixir is top notch in acoustic strings.
    What does the Godin A series run pricewise Max?

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I absolutely love the Elixers on my Tacoma. Others prefer other strings.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They dont use the Elixers on their five strings. To my knowledge, they dont make five string acoustic Elixers.

I just have the stock strings.

Peace
    Nick