1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best aftermarket neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I'm thinking about building my own custom bass... something I really want. Was just wondering on what people thought on the different aftermarket necks such as warmoth, allparts, mighty mite, etc whatever else have you. I want a Fender style bass with a maple neck but don't want to spend a grand. I heard some of the aftermarket necks can be quite heavy and would like to avoid that if possible....

2. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I too am thinking of building a Frankenbass (jazz). That doesn't really help you, but I just thought I would express interest in this thread... because I am.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    USACG.

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    +1

5. Never tried USACG, but have had good luck with both Warmoth and Allparts necks. The Warmoth necks are a little different; the Allparts are more like stock fenders. However, with Warmoth you can get extended fretboards and some way cool wood (on the neck) :)

6. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    Well i am glad i joined and that i found this thread. I am pretty new at this stuff and i got my first bass from a friend who moved out of the country, he was really into it, he got a warmoth body and used the neck from his old p-j (mine now). he just got a cheap neck for the pj so he could sell it. after he was un able to sell it he gave it to me as a gift for my birthday and because he dint have room for it. Now i have a nice body and electronics but my neck is lacking. what would be a good replacment that is light weight and decently cheap?

7. I've used All Parts, Musikraft, and a very old N.O.S. Mighty Mite(dated june of '87). They were all pretty good. The All Parts was the the closest dimensionally to the Fender, very good for the money. The MightyMite was nice but off dimensionally(for a Jazz, especially the fat front-to-rear profile). The musikraft was nice other than the snaggy fret ends. They all set up nice and have been stable so far. I may try a USACG when I feel like spending more cash. I like the way they let you spec. the whole thing out.
    Josh

8. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I just got a Status Graphite Jazz Neck with a Maple lam fret board. I love it.

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I had good luck with an Allparts neck. Good luck, because the luthier who put together my personal "Frankenbass" told me that they (and almost ANY aftermarket neck) require fret levelling and mine didn't. Also, it's nice and straight, something I knew I was taking a risk on. I've had it on for a year and a half and it hasn't changed a bit. (Keeping my fingers crossed.)
    Allparts necks are indeed close to Fender, which was what I wanted. Warmoth necks have fancier hi-tech truss rods, which make them heavier, plus they sound a bit different (from what I've been told). However, those truss rods might make them a bit more reliable than Allparts necks, in general.
    Going with graphite neck (like a Modulus) will certainly give you stability, but the sound won't be "vintage", which was what I, personally, wanted.

10. creamgeez

creamgeez

Aug 11, 2008
    I recently bought an unfinished Allparts neck for my FrankenFender and I am very pleased. You have to buy and install a nut and a string tree. You have to make your own holes also. If you have the tools and patience get Allparts, you will save some money doing so.

Some of them do not have inlays, instead there are cheap looking painted black dots. I know I will drill some holes and install monther of pearl inlays when I get the chance. And the truss rod adjusts at the heel. Also, I had to do a fret job because some of the frets were too high. Not too tough either, just have to have the tools.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I used an Allparts neck for my parts P/J - nice neck, but didn't blow me away from the start. I did a fair amount of hand work rounding and polishing the frets, rounding the fretboard/binding edge. I had a local shop that I trust install the nut, but the other hardware I installed myself. In the end, I am very satisfied with how my project turned out...
    [​IMG]

For the next project, I will probably try a USACG neck.