Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Aftermarket P/ups for Brice (Rogue) 6 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dr. Eagle, Nov 8, 2004.

1. It's probably buried in the megathread somewhere, I did a search and couldn't find it. What pickups have you all used in these basses? The sound is OK but next to my Carvins the electeonics are very noisey, pickup fluorescent lights and tv's/monitors. I'd appreciate your feedback... so to speak... :cool:

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Probably better suited to the "Pickups" forum.

Moved.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey Doc, you and I are having the same issue so maybe I can save you some time. The only new pickups we can get in these basses are none. I've tried everywhere, even custom builders, and the only option offered is to route the body to fit a different sized set of pups into it. The EMG 45J are the correct length, 4.5 inches I believe, but are too wide whereas virtually every other 6 string pup is too long and wide. I've had no luck so far but I'm going to call my favorite luthier and see what he'll charge me to route her and pop in new pups. I'm guess it'll be in the vicinity of 100 bucks on top of the price of the pups and maybe a pre so I'll prolly just forget about it. Good luck though, if you find something that will work please let me know!

4. First stop if I can get them to fit is to put in the carvin electronics I am removing from my fretless. Then I will pop out a pickup and see how it looks. I may just put in the Carvin J99 pickups and live with the 3/8" gap on each end...

It doesn't need to be perfect, I am using it as a beater... but I cannot put up with the hum... so I'd rather live with the gaps on the ends I think. That's why I want to take the pickups loose and see what it looks like under them.

But you are right, these are unique pickups I can't find anything like them. Perhaps the new electronics and a shielding kit will fix it up...

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Good plan, I emailed Carey Nordstrand about rewinding the pups that came in mine but he hasn't emailed me back and I'm about to send mine back to MF because of two monster gouges UPS or someone else put in it and get one which is pristine. Hopefully it'll be better because this one also had problems with the nut. Who knows, lemme know how your situation works out doc!

6. Have you taken the electronics cover off? I am not home and I didn't have time last weekend to do it. I am thinking the compartment is probably not shielded... that might fix it right there.
    The bass didn't sound bad as long as I was away from TVs, monitors and fluorescent lights... although it was a little weak.
    Regardless, still a lot of bass for a couple of hundred bucks... :D

7. OK Ralphdaddy, I popped open the electronics compartment and lo and behold, no shielding. The electronics themselves appeared to be decent quality. I am going to order up a shielding kit from Carvin and give the bass a retrofitting with the existing electronics. It may fix the hum problem. I'll keep you posted.

8. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I knew it, the hum was unbearable, all that was in mine was some very thin foil like silvery stuff which was all crinkled and torn. I assumed, apparently correctly, that there was nothing beyond that to keep the bass quiet. That sounds like a good plan, I'm surprised that the electronics are ok, I'd have expected them to be nothing special. Although come to think of it the pre was fairly powerful, it's the pups that are my issue still.... I spoke with Carey nordstrand and he's offered to work me up some new cores for these pups which will hopefully eliminate the extremely varied string volumes. Let me know how that shielding job goes Doc, thanks again. I'll keep you updated on my pup experiment.

9. Yep, the hum was unacceptable and the whole sound seems a bit weak. But the bass plays very nice and the strings resonate very nicely.

If the shielding doesn't do the trick I may get some Carvin H50N stacked humbuckers and swap the electronics with my surplus Carvin ones as I described before.

I also had the idea of making a plastic bezel around the pickups to cover the 3/8" on each side that will be exposed if I use the Carvin pickups. I can make up a template and have them made and polished at Tap Plastics.

That's plan "B" for now, we'll see how the shielding does.
    I was surprised to see a fairly neat wiring setup and a fully potted (epoxied) preamp with a trim pot in the middle. Looks can be decieving though...

10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Any news on the shielding job Dr.? I got my replacement LX today and I'm gonna get the pups out of it and ship them off to Carey Nordstrand next Monday. Then while he works them over I was going to strip out the pots and pre and shield the hell out of the control cavity and put it all back together, hopefully I'll do it right. Lord knows, I got nothing but time at night hahaha. Good luck, hope yours is coming along nicely.

One last thing, have you noticed any "warbling" or odd kind of sound when you play high up the neck on any of your strings? My previous Rogue had this issue, hopefully this one doesn't but I won't know for sure until Saturday. Thanks again.

11. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Shielding foil and graphite paint have done wonders on a number of my basses.

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Cool, know where I can get the stuff by any chance? Thanks ChuckO.

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    stewmac.com, guitarelectronics.com etc

14. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Once again, thank you my good man!

15. Don't forget to shield the pickup cavity too - and make sure all the the shielding is connected to ground!

16. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Didn't even think about that, thanks Spaceman!! I'll be getting this project under way tomorrow so any info on how best to shield cavities (sounds so wrong :) ) would be appreciated.

17. Sorry man, haven't been back to this forum for a while. I just ordered the sheilding kit Friday from Carvin. Most likely I won't get it before Thanksgiving.

No, I didn' notice any warbling or other odd sound when I was playing it. Did it sound like an electronic problem or a resonance issue?

I hope this will fix my problems up, but I am not holding my breath. I have a couple of Carvin J99 pickups on my watch list on ebay.

18. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Evening, I got my new Rogue yesterday and the warbling issue disappeared, I think the nut was poorly cut so it made the strings resonate in an odd fashion, I heard somewhere that this can occur. I realized this morning when I looked at the electronics that I have absolutely no clue what the hell I'm doing when it comes to active systems... so hopefully when I take it apart I won't screw it all up and ruin it. Good luck with the repairs, thanks again to everyone who's helped!

19. I thought it might be an string/resonance issue, didn't hear anything like that from mine.

I just won a couple of Carvin J99 single coil pickups on ebay that I think I will install on the bass, along with the shielding and the Carvin pre-amp I have here. The only issue will be the 3/8" gap on each side, and I may just make a bezel to cover it.

20. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hi Doc, figured I'd let you know of my ongoing issues with this bass. I got the pups out and shipped them off to Carey Nordstrand, who's been great, and he said we may not be able to do anything with them due to the construction of the pups, they're epoxied together core to cover. So I'll probably wind up routing the bass and installing something else, how do you like the tone of those Carvins? I'm considering something fairly dark since the bass seems to be very bright, any thoughts you might have would be appreciated, thanks, take care. Hope it all worked out well for you.