Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Age to Start Playing Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Surgeon, Nov 10, 2003.

1. I'm 30 years old and just getting back to bass playing after a 15 year break. (Marriage/College/Blah/Blah/Blah)
    When I picked the bass up at 13 it felt gigantic, and now at 30, the size is perfectly manageable but my brain seems to be slightly less agile.

What age do you think is the best age to start playing bass?

Can you be to old to pick it up?

All opinions welcome.

2. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    the best age? now.

3. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    whenever you feel like it maybe. scientifically though, learning happens at a greater rate during childhood doesn't it? so maybe that would be a good time to get started. who knows.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the best age is anytime between 13-16. Ie: after you start puberty (if you are a guy) so you arent really small and weak.

5. dabbadon8

dabbadon8

Oct 11, 2003
    Florida
    I started at 12...then got serious 13/14

I guess that was a good time.

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Most male's start at around 12-14...

I would suggest starting at 8 or so. When you are younget it is MUCH easier to learn music (for most people) and if you think an 8 year old cant handle a bass... Think Steinberger...

7. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA

Amen. I had wanted to play bass for a couple years but thought that I was too old to start. Then one X-mas I said screw it and asked for bass. I was 21. Hands down best decision I ever made. :D

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Right NOW!!!!!!!!

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i DO wish you people would stop saying that. Obviously this guy already plays bass, and isnt asking if he should start. Stop trying to convince him. Do you think anyone who didnt play bass would be a member to this forum? Maybe they are browsing the forum, but we dont need multiple people saying it.