Best airports in the world

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bmc, Apr 30, 2012.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    My personal favorite is Sciphol. Exactly 20 seconds after getting off the plane I have a Heineken and a cigarette in my hand.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I've been to a few of those. Schiphol is a great airport. We were just in Munich and that might be my new favorite... after Raleigh/Durham (my own.) I took a flight out of Zurich once, but I don't remember the airport at all. Bummer, because it's on the list.

4. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I just flew through BWI (Baltimore) on tour the other day for the first time since 1999. very impressed with the look and services/restaurants there. The architecture at Incheon looks amazing, though.

5. I can say with some certainty that Liberty, Intercontinental, LAX and Toronto Pearson are not on that list. :spit:

6. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Midway has surprisingly good corned beef.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have two issues with Schipol. First, if you are connecting there, which 90% of the traffic is), you can find that the walking distance to your connecting flight can take 30 minutes. It is very sprawled out.

My second issue is the the new runway they build about five years ago. You can easily taxi, nonstop, for 20 minutes accessing it. It is far away. Your flight may land on time, but by the time you taxi to the gate, it's a while.

Incheon is a nice airport. Bit of a distance from town. Changi is nice. I never understood the hype that goes with it.

Terminal 5 at Heathrow is very pleasant. Good shopping. BA has great lounges.

I travel too much :-(

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Pearson is a hole. Vancouver is REALLY nice. Dorval is much nicer now. The international arrivals is impressive.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Dorval... great place to commect on your way somewhere else ...I mean, hey that town has summer for like 3 days! I'm pretty sure that Montreal only exists to make Edmonton look colder yet and Minneapolis look warm ... Well that and to offer the uh, pleasure of ordering Chinese food in French :)

Actually before the recession took airline travel down a notch, PDX was really good. Still has very good service but with fewer travellers the better of the restuarants pulled out. Powells is still there though. Best airport bookstore I've seen by far!

10. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    My favorite is Gardermoen, Oslo. Should be on the list imo. But the beer is of course WAY too expensive, if thats your thang. I landed at Brussel I A on wednesday...also nice.

11. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Savannah, GA has a beautiful little airport.

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Actually, London City is nice. Small terminal and the walking distance from airplane to curb side is about 200 feet. That, and the fact that you're close to downtown makes it really nice and convenient.

13. YVR and YUL are pretty good these days. Pearson sucks big time. Every time I'm forced to route through YYZ my resolve to book flights that don't is strengthened. :D

If I'm able, I like to route through Ottawa and since they've started doing non-stop flights from here, that's often possible for Canadian destinations. I'm usually forced to go through YYZ for international flights, despite being almost as close to the UK as I am to southern Ontario.

14. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Narita, Japan
    Best Japanese curry I have ever had, also the cleanest airport I have ever seen

15. It depends on the size and reach of the airport, but for smaller airports I heard that the Ottawa MacDonald-Cartier Int'l Airport was no. 1 in the world last year. I'm not kidding.

Living in Ottawa, I'm not sure I can attest to that fact. Actually, that reminded me that in the winter of 2008, when going back to my home country to visit my family, I was stranded in the Ottawa airport for no less than 8 hours due to a snowstorm... It wasn't the best experience, but let's "thank" Mother Nature for that one.

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    They've done a lot with Ottawa in the past 10 Years. I'll be passing through Ottawa and Montreal in the next three weeks, then YVR, YYJ and SEA in June.

17. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    Detroit is the worst

18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Singapore. Great airport. They have a pool with a swim up bar.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Midland/Odessa, Texas or Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

-Mike

20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Here's a short poem I wrote a few years ago. Ready?

Airports
    need
    each
    other.

Thank you, thank you. It's brilliant; I know.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021