Best airports in the world

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bmc, Apr 30, 2012.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill Still here Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Best - dunno, really. Worst - JFK. But there's been a lot of stuff in the news here this week about how bad Heathrow is these days for visitors (in the run-up to the accursed Olympics).

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Detroit definitely sucks. Lambert (STL) sucks.

I guess every time I have been at Schipol I have been flying into or out of Amsterdam so I never had any problems. Well, except that one time I forgot I had all that weed in my coat and I had to run out and give it to a gal at a chocolate waffle stand real quick. lol

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Mieg's Field in Chicago used to be a great, small airport.

Until the mayor decided to bulldoze it in the middle of the night and turn it into . . . nothing.

4. RayG

RayG

Oct 24, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    +1 for Changi Airport. Have been there a few times on business. You could actually live there and have a social life there is so much to see/do. The whole country is the cleanest, most polite place I have ever been to. Kinda like a Twilight Zone episode.

Regards-------------------

5. JoelFT

JoelFT

Nov 12, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    As an airline pilot I base my airport rankings on the availability of good, fast, cheap food.

Great food airports:
    ATL, MCO, PHL, IND (old terminal) - These airports all have Chick-fil-a. :bassist:

MEM - Interstate BBQ :hyper:

LGA (Delta Terminals) - It is like a Whole Foods in there now where it used to suck royally.

RDU - Jason's Deli

IAD, MDW, BWI - These airports all have a Potbellies.

IAD, RDU - Five Guys

MSP - Pei Wei

MSY - Red beans and rice right down the hall.

SEA - Ivar's

FRA - The employee cafeteria is freakin amazing. Some of the best German food in all of Germany. (It's rare that I eat at any of the international cities I fly too since I am tired as balls when I get off the plane or, I am saving my appetite for the crew meals on the plane. That is the only time I look forward to airplane food.) :bassist:

IAH - Pappasitos

AUS - The Salt Lick BBQ :hyper:

ATL (again) - Rumor has it that The Varsity is going to be opening in the airport. Dear lord my cholesterol is going to hate me.:p

There are more but, those are the standouts right now.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    What equip are you on, Joel?

7. JoelFT

JoelFT

Nov 12, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    MD-88

8. I liked ATL, SFO and IND.

My least favorite is probably either Detroit or Phoenix Sky Harbor.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was a little surprised to see Incheon at #1 but I guess all my experiences there have been pleasant enough. I was also a little surprised that I did NOT see Taipei. I found it to be a very pleasant airport with a relaxing atmosphere. At least in the secure international area. I'm glad to see HK at #3 because I'll be sitting in that one for about 5 hours next month waiting for the first ferry to Macau.

Worst in my book goes to LAX. Blah. In the US I really like Austin Bergstrom. Great restaurant selection and tha goes a long way for me!

bc

10. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I'll have to comment after tomorrow. I fly out of incheon tomorrow.

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Sorry guys, Detroit takes a well deserved beating for many things but Metro isn't even close to being as bad as O'hare, LAX or Philly. You would have had a point maybe five years ago, but since the remodel and completion of the McNamarra its actually a pretty good airport with some great local food (Pizzapopalis for one). Security lines are fairly quick (not out the door for blocks like LAX every Sunday-Monday) , Parking shuttles are numerous and the baggage claim off load is convenient. It isn't perfect but its light years ahead of O'Hare, LAX or Philly.

I will agree that Delta / Northworst is the worse airline (or among the worse) and DTW is a hub for them but the airline itself doesn't determine the quality of the Airport, and DTW is still far better than Philly LAX or O'hare which are absolute nightmares.

My favorite for the record is Anchorage. Its in a valley on a peninsula and beautiful like the rest of the State of AK.

12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I am also surprised at Inchon for #1 - I would vote for Changi.

Taipei, Frankfurt and Hong Kong are great - LAX is at the very bottom of my list. I fly from Burbank to SFO and then overseas to avoid using LAX

13. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Zurich is very luxurious, Munich is very effective and friendly. I also like Frankfurt which for it size is still easy to deal with. Tel Aviv airport is the most unique one of all and very nice designed. My favorite is Wien, the food there is great! :)

14. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Gardermoen domestic was quite a bummer while international was nice. Now both are nice, but it is still a rather boring airport. I liked the old one better, amazing landing over Oslo!

15. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Agree! While the new terminal is very modern the service, the shops and the food are almost depressing. Worst coffee I've ever tested ever.

16. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    DFW BBQ.

17. Got to go with Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport, very nice airport and ran very effectant imo.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
  19. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    When the ground handlers, catering, air traffic controllers, baggage handlers or pilots aren't on strike. I avoid CDG for this reason.

20. SLC is my favorite airport because when I arrive there, it means I'm home.