Best airports in the world

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bmc, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Edinburgh for me, for the same reason. Plus it isn't as much of a hassle to get through like larger airports.

2. Good point. SLC is relatively easy to get through, too.

3. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I've heard only nightmare stories about CDG!

4. Really? I was at LAX in January and i thought it was ok, maybe i was just lucky?

5. same here. CDG was really bad. it's interesting to see how people had very different experiences at airports.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Anybody here have the opportunity to fly into Kai Tak before they closed it?

I managed to sit in the cockpit of a B747-400, with my 7 year old daughter for the approach. What was interesting was we flew over Chek Lap Kok while it was under construction and got a nice birds eye view.

Sad to see Kai Tak closed. A real iconic airport.

7. Asking what my favourite airport is is a real oxymoron - almost like asking what my favourite illness is. Almost without exception I find them frustrating and stressful places to be - even with lounge access.

Singapore airport is the only place I've ever flown to that doesn't make me grit my teeth and curse under my breath, so it gets my vote as the best. O'Hare just squeezes ahead of New Dehli as the worst.

8. You really need to get out more ;)

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Nightmare scenario:

* 2012 Olympics in London

* Terminal 3 at Heathrow, early morning, Singapore A380, Emirates A380 arrival, along with all other Gulf carriers, sub continent carriers, east coast arrivals from UA, AA, AC

* Having to stand in line for immigration

:help::help:

10. Haha, my last passing through Heathrow (Terminal 5), was fairly stressful, but very quick!

My flight in was an hour and a half late, my joining flight was leaving an hour and 45 minutes after the original one was meant to get in.

Managed to go from one end to the other (the wee train system is fairly efficient) and through customs at lightning speed ("The gate for my joining flight closed 5 minutes ago" is a real aid for that one!) and out to a gate in the main building in about 10 minutes, thankfully it was a small flight and they had held the gate knowing that one of the passengers incoming flights had been running late, still left on time though.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Here's some advice when transiting T5. If you are landing at the B or C concourse, or if your connecting flight leaves from the B or C concourse and you need to take the train, avoid the escalators and take the elevators. The escalators take much longer because you have a long way down to go to the underground rail shuttle. You may have to wait 30 seconds for a lift to arrive, but they are the quickest way to move when connections are time critical.

(I travel too much :atoz:)

12. I'll keep that in mind!

I did take the escalators, came in from either B or C, leaving from A. It was a large trans-Atlantic flight, the elevators were mobbed, huge queues waiting for them so I had just made a run for it!

13. Nah, it isn't that bad since they closed the Smith/Berry terminals.

The McNamara and new North terminals are both pretty reasonable. It was the Smith/Berry that looked like they were straight out of 1962 and hadn't been kept up since then.

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    You will never see T5 staff or aircrew take the escalators. From the bottom up, it's three long, slow escalators.

Also, and this won't apply to you living in the UK. A must stop at W.H.Smith to buy either Minstrels or Cadbury chocolate Easter eggs. Maybe Guitarist magazine. :D:D

15. This is true, and I could have seen it being an issue if there were people on them, but I ran up those b*stars, coast was clear! :D

I shall remember it for future use though :)

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In a side note - here's the craziest looking runway I ever landed on:

800px-Macau_International_Airport.jpg

bc

17. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Crazy!!

18. JoelFT

JoelFT

Nov 12, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    I would not want to have to evac on one of those bridges. The slides from many planes would come close to going off the side. I guess the pax could swim back to the gate.

19. For the US I'm a fan of ATL, DFW and Austin International.

20. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yeah, that's all I was saying. Detroit gets beat up for a lot of deserved stuff. But DTW is no longer one of them, it's mid pack at worse, and far easier to get around than O'hare, Philly or LAX.