Best all-around compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Basschair, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'm giving thought to adding compression to my signal chain to create an overall even-ness before sending in to recording gear.

I've never been in the market, so I wondering about all-around good models that are worth their street prices. Yup, this is a broad question, but it gives you a chance voice your likes and dislikes.

2. wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    For recording, the Summit Audio TLA-50 sounds great for little dough. I have never used it live, though...
  3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have used a DBX 163X and also DBX 163A. Not sure of the difference. Old, cheap, out of production compressors, very common here in the US, very simple to use. I have tried newer models and other brands, they were too complicated for me and the DBX sounds better. Under $50, sometimes under $25. Just bought a couple 160Xs, but I haven't tried them out yet. Supposed to be excellent.
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Rane DC24 is the best I've used.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Are there any half a rack space compressors out there?
  6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    DBX 163
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks!!!! :)
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    In case you are looking for anything less than whole space, the Presonus BlueMax is 1/3 space.
  9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Great responses so far guys. I'll have to start looking around for prices and sock some cash away...
  10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    PreSonus gear is awesome.. reasonably priced, and great equipment.
  11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The dBX 160X is a great compressor- transparent, quiet and very useful. For $150-$200 used (they are discontinued) they are the best bang for the buck professional quality compressor out there.

There are many basic uses for a compressor, but I use mine essentially for the same reason that you want to however mine is for speaker protection instead of recording.
  12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    PreSonus Blue Max is a really nice little compressor. You can find used ones all the time. I used the bass preset and left it.
  13. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Best all around? Well I would say an LA2A.

Realistically, for bass, I would go with a 160, whatever incarnation you can get cheapest.
  14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't think it would be wise to bouce a UA compressor around in a road rack.

If you are recording though, I agree.

15. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Are you looking at pedal or rackmount?
  16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

The EBS pedal compressor is a great option for someone who doesn't want to go rackmount. Great sounding, but a bit expensive too.... :cool:
  17. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Good question. I used to have the belief that anything rackmounted would be of higher quality overall, probably because that's how it used to be. I don't have the experience with new equipment, but I have a feeling that's not the case anymore. I'm looking for something that has variable compression settings so that I can add subtle compression to level out my bass tone when recording, and can make everything fatter for performance.

I guess I don't really have a preference as far as rack vs. pedal.
  18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Demeter Compulator is pretty darn nice for a pedal unit. My favorite reasonably price rack unit is the PreSonus ACP-22+