1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best all in one pedal for grab and go.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Yes I searched. Nothing very current.
    While I have a decent little pedal board which I have no plans of letting go. I've realized that I'd like to ad a one pedal all in one type to use both in conjunction with my board but also use as a stand alone I can grab and go with for smaller gigs.
    My current board consists of mxr bod, Env filter, comp, VT bass, harmonizer, boss delay.
    I could use a better delay, and would really like to have one or two synthy tones.
    I've been looking at a used Line6 M9 (yes I've listened, and understand dirt and synth tones not the best) which I realize is dated at this point. However the clips I watched showed some promise, and some very useable patches.
    Perhaps something else along those lines?
    I have the little red zoom b60 multi pedal or whatever it is and am not a big fan. It's not on my board. I just saw the newer L6 HX but it's too much money.
    Now to budget, I have no prob with used. But budget is limited. So with that in mind what are you guys liking as a compromise between hi end $$$ and cheap zoom type all in one. Where is the middle ground and what are the options. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $200-300 max hopefully less!
    GO!

Stumbo and zon6c-f like this.
  2. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    Maybe mooer red truck, it doesn't have everything you cited, but it's worth looking if you haven't already

3. I'll check that out. Thanks

4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    On a budget, in one box, you really can't beat the Line6 M series. Sound quality is decent, the synth tones are useable, but you do need to finesse the sounds out with technique. Even the HX is still using the current synth algos they has in the M series. The other effects are great, usable and tweak able. Even the amps sound good too.

5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Ive got a tech 21 acoustic flyrig arriving tomorrow that, will hopefully work for my acoustic guitar as well as for my bass, direct to the foh for acoustic rock gigs.

6. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Boss GT 1B does this kind of job very well for me.

7. I keep looking at the new stuff to meet or beat my old favorites but as of yet the oldies are still standing.

Zoom B2.1u is my daily go to has almost all my needs in a compact, sturdy box. It is on my small board and anchor board and I use a B2 strictly for synth sounds. The B3 and later B3N as well as the MS60B have some great added and updated sounds and features but the overall utility of the B2.1u just keeps me coming back like that favorite plump old lover. If Zoom were to update this platform it would easily rule the planet and asteroid belt.

Digitech BP8 is an oldie but goodie with a great comp/limiter, tube pre/OD/distortion, 4 band parametric EQ, Whammy, Wah, choice of studio quality modulation, delays and reverbs maybe a little dated but still all sound great. I might use it more if not for the size and age. If Digitech were to update this platform they could rule the universe.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I’ve had a VT Bass Deluxe for 8 years on my board, so I would say VT Deluxe.

Or a Tech 21 Para Driver. Have one of those too. Great for all instruments.

Direct Box Rox and eriky4003 like this.
  9. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Zoom b3n /thread

el murdoque likes this.
  10. I use effect board with stomping boxes. I once bought Zoom B1 Xon. It's so cheap that there was nothing to lose. Then I found out that the whammy in it is actually sounding better than original Digitech Whammy. Later I found out that I can do almost all wahwah, synth and delay sounds I want to. The 'technical' quality of sound is not especially great - I hear loss of dynamics, but since I use it for just a few songs in a gig which are meant to sound weird, there's no issue. I sold the original Whammy and for money saved I bought stomping true bypass, which solves the quality of basic clean sound. Nowadays I use just the zoom+bypass and am happy with it for all situations where I'm too lazy to carry the big effects board. The overall weight of the whole 'effect board' is about a kg.
    The two best things I like about this zoom:
    1. you can mount any four effects in a row, so when some effect is not exactly it, you can adjust it with additional filters or anything.
    2. the expression pedal gives the effect instant and surprisingly big variability, effectively surpassing its lack of dynamics.

Kanoley19 and bongostealth like this.
  11. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Bummer you're not a fan of the ms60b. I use mine all the time. If you like the sounds, but not the form, try the b3/b3n.

I've also heard the boss multi pedal me50b and it sounded pretty good. Looks like a nice all in one.

Really though, the sounds don't need to be perfect live, I try to keep that in mind.

GreggBummer likes this.
  12. Yep. I’d have to second that recommendation and add that their computer app really makes the GT-1B easy to use. And it’s affordable, at least from my perspective. Ymmv.

13. DangYankee

DangYankee

Jul 11, 2017
    East Texas
    I know you say its too much, but I really cant recommend the Line 6 HX Effect enough.

smeet likes this.
  14. Boss ms-3 looks pretty interesting. It’s a pedal switcher that has an onboard multi effects engine.

I wouldn’t recommend the m9. I had the m5. It does actually have some nice delays and reverbs but the synth stuff was terrible and the octaves sound nothing like a real analog octave like your BOD imo.

15. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Trace elliot makes the transit B, which looks very interesting. Been wanting to try one for a while but they don't often show up in stores.

BOOG likes this.
  16. Bo-Weevil

Bo-Weevil Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2006
    SW Ohio, USA
    Zoom G5n.
    Does everything I need and more.
    If you like the sound of your Bass, and just want to add “icing”, then this has everything you could ever want.
    I picked up mine off of CL for $190.
    The new 3.0 firmware and desktop config utility is awesome as well.
    Check it out, you won’t be sorry!

17. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It sucks you can't spring for it, but the HX would be my choice. It's VERY nice. I love mine.

The newer Zoom stuff isnt that bad at all. Check out the B3n. That could do it for you. There there is the new Mooer GE200. I think it may be guitar centric. But I know units like the HX are universal for the most part. So maybe the new GE200 is as well. Not sure though. For your price range though, the Zoom B3n, IMO, is your best bet.

DangYankee likes this.
  18. Bo-Weevil

Bo-Weevil Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2006
    SW Ohio, USA
    I still have a B9.1ut, a B3, and a B3n.
    But the G5n still gives me more of what I need in a single pedal.
    I use a Dirnt 51’ P, an 02’ MIM Jazz, a Dingwall NG2-5 and have patches tweaked for each Bass.
    These patches are based on Chorus, Flanger, Octaver, Pitchshift and Wah.
    Each of these patches has an additional layer of Dirt and boost-dirt for soloing.
    I don’t use reverb or delay much, but it’s all in there as well.
    There are also a few guitar head and cab mods that are nice.
    You also have a dedicated tuner button and a volume pedal.
    I run this right into a Radial JDI to to the FOH.
    Totally killer.

19. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    If Zoom would make a version of the b10n that had sturdier construction, like maybe put it in a metal case, Would add a DI out, and make it work with the software that works with the b3, I’d recommend that. And buy one for myself too!!

20. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

vvv This. Seems to do it all. vvv

SpectraDrive-large.

kwdhsk likes this.