1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best all in one pedal for grab and go.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Jun 12, 2018.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    My grab and go setup is a pedaltrain nano with a power supply mounted underneath.
    I've rigged a Sansamp Programmable BDDI and a Pitchblack tuner on it, which leaves room for one more pedal.
    Usually, that space is taken by a Strymon BlueSky reverb, but on occasion I rig something else.
    This has kept me from buying the Zoom B3 / B3n or the Tech21 Fly Rig Bass which would be a one pedal grab&go solution.

deepestend likes this.
  2. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    WOW!

A notch filter and an LPF. That thing looks promising, I hope you share your experience using bass with this unit. I'm impressed and intrigued!

3. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    It's hard to find one pedal with a good preamp and effects.

The best combo I've found is the ISP Beta Bass for tone shaping/drive/utitlities, and then an Eventide H9 for effects.

I prefer using the factor series pedals because I like to twiddle knobs on the fly, but the H9 has options from all factor pedals in one small unit.

If size is an issue, H9 will cover it.

I can't say enough good things about the ISP Beta Bass. It's a swiss army knife for utility and tone.

4. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    I use the ZOOM B3. I like it...

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    All in one - this probably is a great unit. Lots of bang for the buck, meets your budget.

6. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Easy.. the Omni Cab Dim Deluxe...
    Your current broad ran through it, or it by itself :thumbsup: works wonders and sounds amazing!

7. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Zoom B3. Or B3n. I di mine right to the board. It’s like a Swiss Army knife for bass. Even has rudimentary beats and a looper. It takes some time to it figure out. About $150 used. Probably cheaper these days. B3 lacks an aux in, but the usb hooks up for listening to music from the computer. The B3n has the aux in. You can add an expression pedal.

I have a Line6 HD500x arriving tomorrow, can’t wait to try it out. But I expect a long learning curve. $400 new, mine was $300 used. More power and connection options. More aimed a guitar players, but there are a couple bass amp models, and more available from line 6.

Both have editing software so you can work on patches on your computer with usb connection.

Multi fx are about as all in one as it gets. Downside is the learning curve. I’ve resorted to reading the manual, but the B3 is fairly intuitive if you are strictly a button pushing, knob twiddler.

Most times, I still just take my Smoothie comp and MXR M-80 and di those two to the board. I’m leaning towards ampless. Not just because I’m lazy, but also because I refuse to participate in volume wars.

wmmj and scuzzy like this.
  8. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    Endorsing Artist: (DNA) David Nordschow Amplification
    I saw this at NAMM. Looked very cool but did not try it out.

IMG_0234.

Novarocker and swafran like this.
  9. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    I like the Zoom MS60B as a compliment to the rest of my minimalist board so I'm admittedly biased towards their product. If I had to scrap the whole thing and only carry one individual unit I'd probably go with the Zoom B3/B3n if I needed any sort of effects to work with. For just the bass tone alone I'm very fond of the Tech 21 VT Bass DI, or Deluxe. I've heard good things about the TCE Line Driver as an all-in-one but haven't gotten to try one yet.

10. Rickter

Rickter Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    based on your description of your go-to board and what you're wanting in a grab-n-go format, I'd be leaning toward one of the Tech21 bass FlyRigs. My other suggestion would have been the Zoom MS-60B, but you're not a fan, as you mentioned.

11. Used Line6 Bass Pod or used Korg Pandora’s box
    I own both and although each has different usable features, I have used both live / amp less no issues

12. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I just played the acoustic flyrig for 2 hours. It is the best all in one Ive tried so far. Comp is solid, eq is excellent, even the fx sound pretty good for bass. Im going to wait until this weekend when I can plug it into a pa for final adjustment. I bought it mainly for my acoustic guitar but, it works well for bass. I wish that you could swap the position of the eq and comp but, you cant have it all.

wmmj likes this.
  13. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Sansamp Bass Fly Rig is my only pedal. I used to have a huge pedalboard full of individual pedals, used to have a Line 6 M9. This does everything I need and sounds GREAT with bass. It's so small it fits in my gig bag. I'm surprised it isn't recommended more.

14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Came to recommend that hd500x. Dropped down to $399 currently. The editing software for iOS or PC use is great. Takes a bit of time, but the bass amp models in the HD bass pack are great, and you can do two channel paths with a clean plus grit in conjunction with their plethora of guitar amps through any cab and using most all popular mic choices. I have been blown away by everything other than the pitch shifting. Can set high and low pass filters. It really is nice when you can't afford the Helix.

singlemalt likes this.
  15. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    It is like David Gilmour in a box.

16. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Dr. Scientist Bit Quest. A lot of effects in a one box. I use it as flanger, gated fuzz. reverb, glitch delay, pitch shifter (pog organ), distortion (with hp/lp filter). It can do even more...

Novarocker likes this.
  17. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Seriously. Start saving for it...its really that good.

DangYankee likes this.
  18. Whew, ok, lots of ideas to sort through. I do not need a preamp. My basses have 3-4band onboard. Also have a good built in comp on the amp. This is a busy weekend, just got home and I'm catching up on this thread. I do like the format of the one larger pedal with multiple switches. Not going to scroll thru menus on the gig. I looked at the fly rig briefly, need to delve into it further, I'll watch some demos. The Boss gt1b above, B3/n, zoom ms60b, and some others will be investigated.
    I really do appreciate the suggestions and will look into them. while the HX sounds great I would probably have to sit home with it awhile since I'm not the quickest study on this stuff.
    The added LPF/HPF feature on some of these is appealing.
    Off to do some research!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Novarocker likes this.