1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best all round bass combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by liverpoolabc, Sep 12, 2008.

1. liverpoolabc

liverpoolabc

Sep 12, 2008
    Hi guys, this my first post. I am after some advice/recommendations on a bass combo that offers an all round great sound ie has great tone no matter what type of music you play. For example its sounds great whether you play soul, rock, slap or any type/style of music. I already own an amp and cabinet. But I would like a great sounding combo for medium sized gigs with maybe 1x15 or 2 x10 speakers in it. Something portable and you can fit in your car and loud enough to play along with a drummer.
    I have heard that Edens DC112XLT are very versatile. However they are quite pricey in the UK £1000plus. I am looking to pay around £550 at the most
    Cheers
    Paul :bassist:

2. There is much buzz about the Acoustic B200. It's $350US, 200 watts, 1x15, not too heavy, side handles, nice eq... It's got me thinking I NEED.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's good that you qualified this by price. There's best at any price. Then there's best at a specific price point... :meh:

I was going to suggest the Eden 2x10 combo (DC210XLT Metro). But I don't know if you can swing it financially.

I can recommend the Eden Nemesis 2x10 combo, as I own one (the NC210) and love it. Very versatile, with lots of great features, and great deep, clean punchy tone. :bassist:

MM

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

"Best" depends on a lot of factors. Best price? Availability? Service options? Weight? Reliability? Versatility? And tone.

As for tone, your ears and band situation are different from anyone else's. You're going to have to audition a bunch of amps to eliminate the ones you don't like, and narrow it down to a few candidates.

It's like asking "What's the best vehicle?" Toyota? Ferrari? Pickup truck? It really depends on what fits your needs.

5. well its actually asking whats the best all around combo for the price he specified....one of the terms you claim are missing...did you read his post or just jump his ass? Last time I checked Ferraris and Toyotas were in a different price range, and one would not claim the Ferrari was best all around..may be fast but hows it do in the mud? Very helpfull.

6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    How much is 500 pounds in US $?
    The best all-around combo you can buy is the Mesa Walkabout Scout, IMO. That goes for ~ $1,200 US new.

7. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    bout 1100 bucks i think.

8. MarkBass CMD 121P.

...and then others will of course put their own favorite amps here...

Best is to go to a music store and compare amps and find out which one you like.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll second that. The Walkabout Scout is all alone in the greatest combo amp catagory. Maybe you could find a used one within your budget?

10. Even though you get roughlytwice the bucks for the pound in UK to American money conversion, the UK market doesn't reflect other price markets. For example, a MB Scout might be $1200 new in America, that doesn't mean we pay £600/700 here. No, we pay £1200 - in American money that's approximately $2300/2400 :mad:

In answer to the original question though, your best bet is certainly used. I've just sold a Mark Bass CMD121P combo, and the second hand price for these is now approx £550. A simply stunning and versatile unit. Capable of knocking out 500 watts with an extension cab. Very lightweight, robust and compact. Great tonal range too. There is currently a MB combo on the 'Bay at the moment so worth checking out especially as it's starting at £299. This is the CMD121H model though.

11. greencow

greencow

Feb 7, 2008
    You could try the Marshall MB line. I own one and can get a lot of sound(I like) from it. From slap to the classic tube... It's not 500£, more like 400£ or so.

However it doesn't have any casters, weighs a ton(The weight might be an issue for you) and is relativiley new so no real info on reliability as of yet. It gets scratched easily.

Go try it out.

Also I would also tell you to find and try some Peaveys(used), Ashdown And also Hartke(Who knows. You might like it. Don't know if they make a 2x10 with the A3500 though.). That is if you can find them : P

12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    That stinks - I'd be mad too, if I were you.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is no best all-around combo. What you like and what others like almost never coincide. When you ask a question like that, everyone will chime in with their favorites, which does you no good. All you can do is go play some amps and make up your own mind.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    In fact, Jimmy is 100% correct. There's simply no substitute for personal expirience when amp shopping. And, it's alot more fun then reading these responses, too.

15. liverpoolabc

liverpoolabc

Sep 12, 2008
    Yeah that seems to be the case £1=$1.80 but when you are buying american basses or equipment in the UK you virtually double the price.
    Great Britain,is great no longer! Its getting more expensive by the minute!:(

16. since u live in UK, i thought i'd see an Ashdown name but i didn't. why don't u check them? , i have a C115-300W , and it's great , but a lil hard to carry since it doesn't have side handles, but u can go for the 210.great sound also. i love the sound of Ashdown.and good prices also ( if u go with the Mag series ) . it's great, try it out.

17. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1 to Jimmy and RickenBoogie.

The best amp is the one available to you in your price range that gives you the tone, volume, and portability you need.

My choices work for me, but probably not for you.

One of the biggest factors is your location in the UK, which creates totally different availability and price vs. the US, where many of us seem to be. I suspect that four out of five brand/model recommendations made here are simply not available to you at reasonable prices.

18. qtowens

qtowens

May 30, 2008
    Ferndale, MI
    Out of the bass combos I've owned, my Nemesis NC-200P was the bomb.
    Having said that, I now own a SWR Baby Blue "combo" combo with a BB II head in a BB cabinet. It is an amazing combo...
    Aren't the Walkabouts built out of MDF? I'm kinda partial to real wood FTW...

19. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Try to get an old Eden Metro 2x10 used.

20. Same over here in Australia, we have to double the US price for our price.

I was looking at bass central for a new cab, the Eden XLT210, its $1600 discounted in Australia. Bass central would give it to me for $620, with $500 shipping and would lower the price on the custom tax sheet thing. SO probly about $1200 to get one shipped over.