Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best All Time Sound Tracks

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

VH1 has been running a series of the top fifty all time best soundtracks. Of course, I often didn't agree and they left out some of my personal favorites. By the way, I'm asking your opinions because often to me the soundtrack is BETTER than the movie and I pay very close attention to the sound track.

Here are some of my all time favorites.

Exodus: The first soundtrack I ever bought

Shaft: The original movie

Titanic: hauntingly, achingly sad

The General's Daughter: Great use of field hollers and spirituals to enhance this Georgian mystery story.

South Pacific: The movie

West Side Story: The movie

Cookie's Fortune: Some good blues to back this Mississppi mystery story.

The Crow: The first Crow movie. A wonderful collection of popular metal bands of the day from the Cure, Pantera to The Thrill Kill Cult.

West Wing: The television show

Mission Impossible Two: Love Limp Bizkit's rousing title theme. Lots of other pounding music there too...the kind to play loud.

Wayne's World: The first one.

That's all I can think of right now, but there are many more I have tremendously emjoyed. I'd like to know your favorites too.

jason oldsted

2. Good topic!
    My favorites are:
    "Hair" (KILLER bass playing, just make sure to get the motion picture soundtrack, not the Broadway cast recording)
    "Saturday Night Fever" (sure it's cheesy, but I dug it when I was 10)
    and "Angus".. great pop-punk stuff on there from several bands.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There was a thread on this in another forum recently and I mentioned "Bullitt" - and discovered that Carole Kaye played on this. Great bassline to the main theme.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think you can't go wrong with "Superfly."

Also, the "Dead Man Walking" soundtrack and score are great.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe not "best", but certainly has some great tunes:

The Commitments
    Blues Brothers
    Rushmore
    Mysterious Island - I love Bernard Hermann
    Victor, Victoria - "Le Jazz Hot"

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Dream a Little Dream
    Desperado
    The Mambo Kings
    South Park (Do musicals count?)
    Shakespeare in Love
    Batman (Score, not soundtrack)

Worst: Immortal Beloved. I don't want to hear snippets of Beethoven's pieces, I want to hear the whole thing.

7. The Crow
    Clerks
    Spawn
    The Matrix

8. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Some of my favs, though not necessarily the, "BEST," per se:

<i>Swingers</i> - S/T
    <i>Mo' Better Blues</i> - S/T
    <i>Mars Attacks!</i> - Score
    <i>Reservoir Dogs</i> - S/T

9. i think that dazed and cunfused is pretty sweet :)

ilike waynes world a lot, and those are the only two soundtracks that i can think of off the top of my head except for pulp fiction and reservoir dogs

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, in the other thread, I mentioned Jesus Christ Superstar.
    I just picked up the movie soundtrack to JCS @Tower, USED for $22. Locally, the stores were wanting $37 with the list price as $42! Are they kidding! I mean, c'mon, the soundtrack is about 30 years old. I keep hearing that cd prices are gonna come down...I haven't seen any evidence of that, have you?
    Anyway, I never owned the movie soundtrack to JCS...I used to have the Original cast albums. I had forgotten how cool "What's The Buzz" is...bad bass playing on that one! "Everything's Alright" is nice, too. The title tune also smokes.
    Eventually, I'm gonna re-aquire the Original Cast recording(& at ColumbiaHouse for a $9.98 Sale price).

I also like Hair, Shaft, & Superfly.

As far as Jazz sountracks-
    Miles Davis' Ascenseur pour L'Echafaud(Escalator To The Scaffold). Interesting concept...Miles & band(Bop drum innovator Kenny "Klook" Clarke + some French musicians) improvise as they watch the film for the first time. This soundtrack has been re-issued of late...

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Dang! I didn't know there had been another thread like this. Anyway, some of you reminded me of soundtracks I had forgotten and love.

Blues Brothers 2000:
    I have nearly worn out this CD! The jam sessions with major blues names are priceless. This soundtrack was better than the movie.

Blues Brothers: How I love that CD!

Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon:
    What a gorgeous soundtrack with cello work by YoYo Ma. BTW, Inever dreamed a martial arts movie would make me cry, but there I was at the end of the movie crying like a baby. Then I went straight to Media Play right after the movie and bought the soundtrack. The music is nominated for an Oscar, BTW!

Saturday Night Fever:
    Not only is this the soundtrack for the movie, it is the soundtrack for the entire 70s.

Flashdance: For years, this was my number one exercise music.

Top Gun: That movie brought back so many memories and so does the soundtrack.

Jason Oldsted

12. hey will you guys stop calling my thread "the other thread" :D

i will cast another vote for Hair, Superfly, and Quadrophenia

13. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I'm not THAT familiar with soundtracks,but I love Toto's Dune...it creates such an amazing atmosphere,I love to listen to it while reading Michael Moorcock's books.I also intend to buy the soundtrack to Conan,I've heard everyone say it kicks @$$,but I haven't got it yet...this money problem again...argh

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Crow: That thing was like the movie, dark oppressive, and you feel better once it's over. (Good thing)

MI:2: Nice thing to pop in and play Video Games to. The perfect soundtrack for some serious buttkicking.

I really don't go after soundtracks that often, but these two grabbed me.

15. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Have you ever seen "Leaving Las Vegas"? The soundtrack is very very good, Jazzy and Subtle with some great songs done by Sting.

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Some of my faves:

Blade Runner
    Crouching Tiger
    Empire Strikes Back
    Gattaca
    Ghost in the Shell
    Last Temptation of Christ
    Naked Lunch
    Spartacus
    Trainspotting
    Umbrellas of Chebourg
    Until the End of the World
    Vertigo

17. Hi all

I'm going to have to cover some that have already been taken - Jesus Christ Superstar and also Blues Brothers.

I'm also a sucker for the Reservoir Dogs one (if that's the one with Little Green Bag?

Cheers

Dean

18. Forest Gump
    Hair
    JCS
    Easy Rider
    Phantom of the Opera

19. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, since it's been mentioned, Quentin Tarantino has EXCELLENT taste in music on his soundtracks. We should probably toss in Pulp Fiction while we're at it - if only for the revival of "Jungle Boogie".

20. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Trick Or Treat (All Fastway tunes)
    Decline of Western Civilization pt II, the Metal Years
    River's Edge
    Clerks (Berzerkerrrrr)