Best alternative to 3Leaf Audio Doom 2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bsekle, May 1, 2021.

1. bsekle

bsekle

May 1, 2021
    Richmond, VA
    What is the best alternative to the 3Leaf Audio Doom 2? It is out of stock everywhere and I am looking for a pedal that functions similarly.

2. I found that that both the Tech21 Red Ripper, Crowther Prunes & Custard, Malekko Diabolik and Source Audio Bass Multi wave distortion all have that kinda squelchy synthy distortion

bsekle likes this.
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Gainesville, FL
    3Leaf Audio You're Doom / Doom. I think the difference in blend is pretty big, but character and function wise, they're close.

bsekle likes this.
  4. JRMK

JRMK

May 28, 2007
    Frazz Dazzler V2 maybe?

bsekle likes this.
  5. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I didn't find the Doom similar at all to my frazz dazzler. i agree the old red ripper is a decent facsimile, but the way the Doom folds its dirt is pretty unique. I suggest holding out as it's a killer pedal, or getting a Source Audio Aftershock and programming in a preset that achieved what you want.

bsekle likes this.
  6. bsekle

bsekle

May 1, 2021
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks everyone. I will look into each of those options and keep my eyes out for a Doom 2.

What about the MXR M287, the Wampler Fuzztration, or the EHX Nano Metal Muff?

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    What are the differences between the versions of this pedal?

8. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    VFE Woodchipper v.2 is the one can be alternative but it is not as smooth.

bsekle likes this.
  9. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

check your Private Messages

bsekle likes this.
  10. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    There’s a Doom 2 in the classifieds.

bsekle and Eric Cioe like this.
  11. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    bsekle likes this.
  12. VolverseLoco

VolverseLoco Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Las Vegas
    What is it about this pedal that makes it so hard to find? Are they just not making them anymore? I want this pedal to play 1 song and 1 song only on my bass and that is Madonna/Into The Groove. Its that sawtooth wave function in this pedal that gives the closest thing to 80's pop synth that I have ever heard in a pedal and of course there is no lag or tracking issues because it doesn't even go that route when modifying your clean bass input signal, does it, right? Yes, I know there is one posted here in the TB classifieds, but that is a super rare thing.

Well, now that I checked out that Keeley pedal from one post above me, that right can do the sawtooth 80's pop synth sound just fine, and at a cheaper price than the You're Doom.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    bsekle likes this.
  13. bsekle

bsekle

May 1, 2021
    Richmond, VA
    The bass sound on Into the Groove is pretty nice! Definitely one of the kind of sounds I'm going for as well. I got the idea for getting the pedal from this video - - and would like to achieve all the sounds demoed, especially the P.Y.T. one. It seems that the main use of the Doom 3, aside from serving as a gain stage, is to turn the signal into a square wave (which I guess would be a sawtooth in the case of Into the Groove). The Synth 1 seems like a good option since it explicitly lets you select the different waveforms.

14. bsekle

bsekle

May 1, 2021
    Richmond, VA
    Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

This might be another possibility. It seems that there's a lot of freedom to program this pedal, and pedals like the Source Audio Aftershock that @stambroker suggested, to get closer to an exact sound.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  15. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

bsekle likes this.
  16. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    Damn, I have also been checking the 3leaf website and TB classifieds looking for one of these. Dynamic synths fuzz that gives legit octave sound in upper bass register sounds like a dream. I want one bad!!!!

Bassgeer and bsekle like this.
  17. Doom 1 has a simple mix knob, a tone knob, and a mids switch. (and volume/gain)

Doom 2 replaces the mids switch with a mids knob, and replaces the volume/mix setup with a fuzz vol/clean vol setup. The clean vol is labelled "bass", and it can either be a pure clean volume or it can be a low-passed clean volume. The low passed clean is what really makes this pedal special; instead of having a clean signal colliding with a fuzz signal, it all meshes together into one massive chunk of fuzz. If you want the fuzz-on-top-of-clean thing, you can still have it. (I personally use the clean mode when I'm feeding an octaver into the fuzz)

Doom 2 also lets you choose between two fuzz circuits, the octave-up circuit from the original Doom and a new circuit that is just fuzz with no octave, which is much bassier.

cnltb and Driven Crane like this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021