Best American-made Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Feb 6, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I've already got a couple Precisions and would love to add a Jazz to my arsenal. Definitely want one made in the USA. Is there a model that has more bottom end than the others? It seems every Jazz I've tried sounded really thin. I'm thinking the American Deluxe would be a good choice with its active electronics. How the reissues stack up? Thanks for any advice you can provide.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have a 1997 standard Jazz with a J-Retro in it. All the bottom end I could ever need at this point.

3. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah Polka.. Deluxe Jazz is the way to go, IMO
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
  5. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    definately go for the Jazz deluxee MIA there awesome bases!! :bassist:
  6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have had a fantastic American Standard, American Deluxe and have a MIA 75 RI on the way. I have also played a really really good USA Deluxe Jazz 5. So I would say that you have a good chioce of great Fender Jazz Basses.
  7. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Thanks for the replies! Any opinions of the Victor Bailey signature? I'd imagine these are a little harder to come by on the used market.

I used to own a '92 Jazz Plus that sounded great, but I don't care for the "contemporary" look that much.
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hell of a smokin bass. I own one with the noiseless pups in it and it's a real animal. A big step above th MIA dlx bass. the bass is lighter, has a smaller (feels like a MIM neck but it's not) neck and real sweet electronics. The body woods (Koa, mahogany and rosewood) give it a distinctive sound. You will probably not find one used because not many are sold and most like mine where ordered new from Fender dealers.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you think that a Jazz bass sounds "thin" compared to your Precisions.... You're right! :) It's a different sound. Both are great sounds, one is not better than the other, it just reads as if you're a precision man.

IMO you're just not going to get a big fat sound out of a bass with two single coil pickups in it.

If you want a big "fat" sound that's different than what you're getting and like Fender, check out the Roscoe Beck 5 (there's a 4 now, too!) and some of the offerings from G&L and Music Man.
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I own a Deluxe MIA and it's for sale, a good bass , not a Metro. The best American Made Jazz is Sadowsky NYC or a Lakland Joe Osborn!! NO QUESTION
  11. I tried an MIA Deluxe a couple of days ago and compared it to a Stingray plus a couple of Warwicks, Spectors etc, and I have to tell you, it buried them all. If I'd got the money, I'd have bought it there and then, no shortage of bottom end at all !! Loads of every tone you can think of, very versatile, and a breeze to play. I'm geting one as soon as the budget allows.
  12. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    The US 75 RI Jazzes are smoking basses as well. I own one and love it.

13. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    yeah man, USA 75' RI ... amazing bass
  14. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Victor Bailey is my gigging bass and I feel lucky every time I get to play it. The neck is so smooth and the eq controls allow you to dial in lots of tasty tone. It seems to play itself and it looks classy and classic. There were a couple on the 'Bay recently, one with an amazing top.
  15. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Great feedback guys! As far as the Jazz deluxe goes, I know that Fender has made a number of "improvements" on these over the last several years such as the addition of the noiseless pickups and upgrading the preamp to 18v. Is the latest edition of this bass probably the best out there? Also, I've heard that the stock preamp might be lacking. Is it necessary to upgrade this to an Aguilar or Bartiloni right away? Thanks!
  16. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I don't know who told you the pre was lacking, the one in my Victor Bailey Kills! No need for any other pre-amp for me. the latest edition of all dlx jazzes is the samarium cobalt noiseless pups. These pups nail the vintage sound while giving you the tone and clarity of an active bass.
  17. MIA Deluxe is my choice for great sound, better construction, amazing versatility, and the fact that it's a modern Fender able to compete with many other high end basses by other companies. I have one that I really like, and the newer ones I've tried seem even better built and have a cleaner and clearer sound.
  18. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Mine is a 2002, which is 18volt but does not have the latest samarium cobalt pickups. I'm totally happy with it. If the new p'ups are even better (that's the scuttlebutt) then they've made a fine bass even better!
  19. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My victor Bailey has "noiseless pups in it and my FMT V has the new "samarium cobalt noiseless" pups in it.
    Now when I first heard the "noiseless" pups in the MIA dlx bass I really didn't care for them to go out and by one. I took a chance buying my VB jazz bass and liked the way it sounded. Now when I heard the new samarium pups I had my guy call Fender to see if any FMT V's where available with the new pups. I ordered mine on a friday afternoon and had it flown to NYC, recieved it two day's later on monday. Imho the new scn make a good bass great! They sorta tame the sound in a good way and give you more low end to boot!
  20. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Do you guys know how long Fender has been using the samarium cobalt pickups?