Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best amp $700 can buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noeinstein, Dec 26, 2004.

1. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    I'm an O.G. who plays the blues (and some motown, etc). Recently I sold my Ampeg B2R because I want more power. I was just going to get an SVT3 pro, then I played a Yorkville Bassmaster XS800H... am I missing something? This amp seems too good to be true... great price, terrific sound, and lots o' watts (under $1/watt). Please save me if I'm about to throw my money away... is there a better deal?

I use an Ampeg SVT410HLF and I'll keep that, I'm just looking to replace my amp.

2. sitback

sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I just got the XS800H and the XC808 not just on the advise of some people on this form but I went out and tried them, simply outstanding. :p

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Have you priced out a Sasnamp RBI with your choice of power amp and cab?

That's usually your best price per watt.

:)

Joe.

4. how much does the yorkville head cost???

and is it pretty loud with just 8x8s?

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nothing against the Yorkville, but if I were you I'd check out the Carvin B1500 too. Very ncie amp IMO, and lots of power. www.carvin.com

6. sitback

sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    The head was about $850 Cnd and the cabinet was about the same, the cabinet is pretty loud compared to YBX1510 (2X10”+15”) but much more defined in the mids and the lows it all depends on what you play, it more than does the job for me. Try one out you might like it!

7. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    No, I haven't. I don't know much about Sansamp... is it a pre-amp? I have read some interesting opinions about it... is that what you use? What power amp do you use?

8. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Carvin certainly does seem to give you a lot for your money, do you use it?

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yes, I do. I like it a lot.

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yup, I use a Sansamp RBI Preamp and a QSC PLX2402 power amp for my rack. This first link shows the complete setup with cabs.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/lowtonejoe/BigRig.jpg

I also use a GK 700RBII with an Aguilar GS112 or with my Bag End cab.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/lowtonejoe/GKAgFront.jpg

The preamp sells new for about $300. You would probably want a less expensive power amp. The QSC RMX line starts around $300 new. I guess that only leaves you about $100 for a cab but if you buy the preamp and power amp used you will probably have $300 left over to buy the cab. Lots of good, used cabs out there for $300.

Most of my gear is used. There's nothing wrong with that.

Joe.

11. I tried the XS800 with 4x10 cab a few weeks ago and i was amazed. The best sounding hybrid amp i have ever pplayed. I am seriously considering trading in my YBA200 for it. An XS800 and a YBA-3 I dont think i would need any other amps. Then again I may trade the YBA200 and put it towards a new stingray...decision decisions.

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    GK 1001RB II 700 watts @ 4 ohms. $600 Riks music.com. If theres a better sound/value I don't know about it.

13. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    +1!! There's no better value than the GK 1001RB-II.
    :hyper:

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well, an Ampeg B4r through that 410hlf would cure any lack of volume. I've seen a few used for less than $600. Or an Ampeg pre amp through a power amp like a QSC or carvin 1000 watt amp would set you back $800 for the pair new. Less if you could find used.

15. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Used Eden WT-800.

16. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    In my opinion it would be the Genz Benz GBE600 hands down.

17. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Joe,
    I'm confused by the "bi-amp" capability of the GK 700 & 1001. I use an Ampeg SVT410HLF cab, will I be able to take full advantage of the GK system?

18. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    No. Not without modification to the cab. Generally if anyone does use it they have a GK cab since they are set up for it.

Bi-amping allows you to set separate sound levels to two different frequency ranges using a crossover and two discrete amps. To make your highs louder-turn up the tweeter amp and to make the lows louder-turn up the woofer amp. There is a long standing debate over the necessity of such an exercise. Myself...tweeter shmeeter, I'm a BASS player for pete's sake. Turn the darned thing off!!

But don't worry about it. No one I know has EVER used the bi-amp capability of ANY GK amp but I guess some have. It is a function that as far as I know is almost exclusive to their cabs unless you want to modify yours. If I do want more highs, I turn up the tweeter on my cabs (they are usually off or very low).

But...hey...try it if you want. It might be right for you. If it is, more power to ya.

All that being said I am very happy with the tone of my 700RBII without bi-amping. If my power amp ever goes out, I will more than likely replace my rack setup with a 2000 series GK amp.

Uh...I assume you were talking to me? Oh well. If not ignore everything I said.

Joe.

19. Yorkville makes some absolutely amazing stuff... I have the XS400H and it absolutely KILLS anything I've played before. The cost was also fantastic! I can't believe the warmth/sound quality that I get from this baby.

Godin is another Canadian company that seems to be too-good-to-be-real. I have their BG4 bass - and coupled with my XS400H is an unbeatable combination. I've never been so happy with my tone :)

- Andrew