1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best amp/ amp company for overdrive or distortion amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SUPERsmitty, Oct 6, 2006.

1. SUPERsmitty

SUPERsmitty

Sep 26, 2006
    Hey can someone tell me what the best bass amp and/or company and/or effect unit for distortion or overdrive?

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Best" is totally subjective, especially about distortion. I'm not just saying that to be a smartass, it's a solid fact that there is no "best" in the wide world of overdrive because we all have such different tastes and ideas about what distortion should sound like. You'll get more useful information by using the "search" function on the word "overdrive" both here and over in the Effects forum. In the Effects forum especially you'll want to do some reading before you post ;) just because we discuss overdrives over there all day every day, and everything you want to know is there already. :p

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I like my cranked Sunns for overdrive, but they're insanely loud at that volume.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Best amp/ amp company for overdrive or distortion amp

The mesa D-180 should be on this list.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Some people like distortion/OD pedals (there are dozens).

Others like tube amplifiers: Ox' Sunn, a V4B, etc.

Others like tube preamplifiers pushing solid state power amps. Or solid state tube emulators, such as the SansAmp BDDI or RBI.

As bongomania said, there is no overall best, only what's best for you. If you ask 10 people "what's best?" you'll probably get 10 different answers. What's best for them might not be best for you.

To help us figure out what's best for you, give us some information. For starters: how much do you want to spend? Would you prefer an amp or a pedal? What kind of overdrive/distortion do you want: subtle OD, heavy fuzz? Aggressive modern, or round, warm vintage?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021