Best Amp and Cabinet for a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Festus, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    I got a Stingray and I am having trouble finding a decent amp for it.
    I have a Hartke Kickback 10 for home practice. I need an Amp for gigging and I don't know what to use.
    I have used the following amps and have found them to be 'not suitable'....

Any Peavey
    Any Laney
    Trace Elliot combos

Before I go out and trawl around the shops, I would like to hear your advice.....

2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I dont think it really matters what amp you use for a stingray, but naturally Im gonna plug my Ampeg SVT-4 and Mesa 4x10. :)
  3. I have a stingray bass and i play thru ah ampeg 8x10 cab with a hartke 5000 head, i dont care for the head all that much im actually looking for a tube power head, but its plenty loud! Good lucK:D
  4. Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    That is true, but I have found that alot of amps have trouble dealing with the trebly output. I have a scooped sound wherein I remove alot of mids, boost the lows and add a bit of treble. Some amps I have played through have sounded like a bucket full of screws being kicked, (especially when I do a bit of thumbing and popping)

5. i have found that with the Ernie Ball, i have to adjust the mid up on it. with the music i play (harder rock) there is alot of distortion and i find myself being cut out of the mix when i cut mid and boost the low, try boosting the mid when your playing it might not sound as good when your playing alone but in the mix of the band it might be more satisfying. Is your hartke the aluminum cone?
  6. Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    Aluminium Cone? correctamundo....
    But that doesn't worry me cos it is just for at home volume levels which, due to my neighbour situation, isn't a problem.
    I don't use the Hartke for gigging. It is only a kickback 10 and doesn't work to well on stage.

My point is....I have a bass that has a unique sound that I don't want to tamper with. I need an amp that will not get in the way/hinder/kill the classic MM sound.
  7. I play a Stingray 5(active), and I use an SVT4PRO into Peavey 4x10tx+Carvin 2x10 wedge.
    The amp is great, I love all the tones it has, and it delivers when I nail the B...(too often).
    The Peavey cab is old,10 years, and sounds great, especially in light of the fact that I have abused it
    with all kinds of crackly amps, poor cabling, stupidity(plugging and unplugging under power, leaving it out
    in the rain for hours, etc.)The Carvin monitor is good as well, except I vaped a tweeter(more stupidity),
    but with the Stingray's overpowering treble knob, I dont miss it!
    I use it alone for small stuff, and set both up as a 6x10 stack for big stuff.
    Both cabinets are cheap, and sound fine for my stuff..
    (jam bands,reggae,rock,blues, y'allternative).
    The amp was expensive...but I love it.
    (Avoid GK if you are at all aggressive or careless with your gear. They sound OK, but I broke mine fast!)
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Trace Elliot V4 (KT88's) and a Hartke Transporter 4x10. I set the bass and amp flat then add mids from the amp if its a loud gig and add bass from the instrument when the drummer goes mental.
  9. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    the 80's answer would be a gallien krueger head with a hartke xl cab. killer slap tone rig.

if you really want the tone of the bass to come thru as uncolored as possible, then you're talking about spending some $$ much are you willing to spend? here are the suggestions i can make for 'uncolored' sound (i'm sure others will come up with more choices):

euphonic audio cabs
    acme cabs
    demeter preamp
    aguilar preamp (not sure how 'uncolored' it is ...?)
    carvin/crown/qsc/mackie power amps

there are many expensive and great sounding bass amps out there - you'll pretty much have to play a bunch of stuff and follow your ears.
  10. Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    That's great advice....'un-coloured sound'.
    When I decided to buy my Stingray, I also made a decision that money was not to be a deciding factor in anything I was going to buy. If I have to save up for a year, then so be it, as long as I am getting the sound and quality I want.
    It's funny you mention the Aguilar and the Euphonic Audio, I have noticed their ads in Bass Player magazine.
    As I live in London, I think a trip to the Bass Centre is in order....:cool:
  11. I'll second whoever said that, and say that you should definately give ACME a shot. They are direct order only, but they are said to be the most flat and uncolored cabs on the market right now. EQ the sound you want, or leave it as basic as necessary. I have heard that they can achieve the sound of most HQ cabs on the market with a bit of time and EQ comittment. I guess they are THEE thing to have if you are looking for your bass' natural tone to shine through. They are reasonable, but require alot of power.(A minimum of about 500 watts for the 2x10, and 1000 watts for the 4x10.) But if money isnt an object, then the power amp and preamp should be no problem and the cabs are very reasonably priced. Also, if you order them direct, you get a trial period where you can send them back if you dont like them. Give em a shot...

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's simple. Eden WT-xxx and one or more Eden D-410XLTs. Of course, it's the same answer for ANY bass.
  13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Festus, since you live near the Continent you might be able to pick up some of the Dutch gear such as EBS or Hevos at a reasonable price. Or Glockenklang, from Germany! Really excellent reviews on this stuff. Also, the Ashdown stuff might be worth checking out. Although I've not liked the Ashdown cabs at all.

Of course my ole buddy, Munji, speaks the truth from my perspective. But Eden gear may be quite spendy over there.

By the way, what is a "snoogins"?:confused:
  14. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    im not sure the model but my friend has an ampeg cab with 2x8"s and 1x15" driven by an SWR bass350 head..... sounds incredible. ive seen people play these with hartke heads and ampeg cabs and it sounded great as well.
  15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my sterling sounds incredible through my SWR interstellar overdrive, carvin DCM 1000, swr goliath jr/triad rig...

but i bet just about anything would :) it's got that normal SWR hi fi ness, but somehow it also gets old tube fatness too.

16. The ultimate rig: Mid 70's all tube SVT into an Ampeg 8x10. It is THE sound fo a stingray, IMHO.

Coiurse, that kinda bring into account price, availability, and transportation. ; )

Anything Eden XLT series is good, or any high end botique stuff.
  17. AaPee

Apr 30, 2001
    Finland, Hankasalmi

I am playing my StingRay5 through SWR SM400S with SWR Bigfoot 2x12" (Bag End's). I have also wired Raven Labs MDB-1, SansAmp BD, EBS Multicom and Aphex 104 to the signalpath. Man, it is punchy, earthshaking but still singing sound.

I can gladly recommend SWR SM400S for your awesome bass. Don't be hesitate to ask more about my setup if you feel so...

All the best, AaPee
  18. For my StingRay5 i'm using a SWR Bass750 through 2 Goliath III's. In my estimation it's one of the rigs that does the StingRay most justice, simply because it lets the bass sound what it sounds like = GREAT!!!
    I've tried loads of other rigs, and lately a Mesa 400+ through a Mesa cab which sounds great, but compared to SWR it sounds like its standing in another room. Not the presence of SWR.

19. i've got my stingray 4 going thru a ampeg b2r to a hartke 4.5 xl. aluminum cones think do the job.:)
  20. As Carl & Aapee said SWR pro series heads and cabs are damn near perfect for for that classic StingRay vibe . I play mine thru a SM400s & goliath III cab , sometimes I use a Bag end S12-D & S15-D either way it rocks and is unmistakabley RAY