Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best amp and speaker cab to mic for recording?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Jun 17, 2005.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Going into the studio and wondering what the best rock and roll amp and cab to mic for recording purposes? Old Ampeg amp and 8x10 seems obvious. Anything else for a real punchy live sound? Can just about anything work if EQed properly?

Thanks for any info!

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i tdepends on what sound you're going for. I'd strongly reccomend going direct, and if you want to mic a cab have that as a second channel. I wouldn't reccomend just using a miced speaker track. For starters, the limitations of the speaker and the microphone will cut down the overall frequency response (usually in the lows). Also, the direct channel will give the engineer a much more neutral starting tone to work with.

I really like the bag end 12 as a miced cab, but a ton of others work really well. the ampeg b-15 was and in many cases still is THE amp to mic in the studio. The vintage SVT is another favorite, and there are a ton of others. Then you get into what mic to use and where to place it.

Check out the recording forum for some ideas as well.

3. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Good info!

Ive looked in the DI threads quit a bit and it sounds like using rare or expensive DI's is the way to go, Ive used a Demeter before and wasnt all that impressed. Dont mean to beat a dead horse., but would you recomend a DI like Sans amp or MXR insted of a miced amp?

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    DI for quick-n-easy, but you've gotta have nice real tone, you know, from your fingaz! :bassist:
    Otherwise, miking is a great way to go if you want real character. An SVT rig is overkill, IMHO. So I would seriously consicer an Ampeg V4b and the 4 ohm cab of your choice.

My $.02