1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best amp/cab combination to get the most out of a Spector NS-4h2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lird12, Jul 26, 2012.

1. lird12

lird12

Mar 14, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    What amp/cab combination will give tons of crunch and punch? I play slap/funk/metal etc. Thanks! I was thinking a Berg HD410 with a little mark iii?

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Best is subjective.

Budget, ideal weight, size, power, and flexibility is important... There are a lot of options.

Some people want a light flexible rig (like me :hyper:) so have to look at light heads and cabs - this is nearly as restricting as a very small size or budget.

by mentioning Berg and Markbass It's fair to say you've likely got enough for a decent rig. If you want my opinion, it's get a warm and clean sounding rig - and get a pedal for the filth. FWIW.

3. lird12

lird12

Mar 14, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Sorry, shoudl've said that! I am willing to spend a pretty penny on the amp/cab. about 2000$ for both head and cab. Doesn't matter the weight. Looking for a 410 cab. Good amount of power. thx

4. Ampeg B108.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    marshall_ms-2microamp.

:bag:

did somebody say fEARful? Barefaced? BFM????

6. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    If you can save up an extra $1k, I recommend Phil Jones. My M-500 head into 8-T & 16-B cabs absolutely kills - it has more punch & bowel-loosening low end than any rig I've ever played or owned. It is a clean amp, but you can add crunch with any number of pedals - I use a Tech 21 VT pedal when I need an overdriven tone. It is also not for those seeking a light weight rig - this thing weighs a ton, but the sound is worth it.

7. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Holy **** that's a lot of speakers! Wow! How do your bandmates react when they see you wheel those monsters in to a gig? :D

8. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
  9. superdick2112

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    They cringe - they get to help me load in & out of clubs & the rehearsal space. :D

On the plus side, I also play Spectors, and I can testify to the fact that the Spector/Phil Jones combination sounds deadly - bottom end, punch, sparkle, and grunt by the boatload!

10. lird12

lird12

Mar 14, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    That looks insane! I thought it was a joke before checking the website. Me want! It seems like it has tons of power and I'm not sure I need that much at this time. Just playing small-medium size vendors. Is there a smaller less powerful version of this you could recommend? I'm definately interested thanks!

11. superdick2112

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Take a look at the M-300 head, along with the 6-T and 9-B cabs. This is about $1k more affordable, and as small as I would go with PJB - due to the nature of the 5" drivers, you need quite a few of them to move enough air for punchy bottom end. Four of the 5" drivers = the cone area of one 10" driver, so my setup is equivilant to a 6x10" cab, but it has superior transient response, thunderous low end and natural-sounding sparkly highs - no tweeters or horns are needed with the 5" drivers. :bassist:

12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    PJB cabs and amps have a reputation. If you can afford to get them you'll probably be happy with them. :D

Try a few different types of amps and cabs... If you're moving that amount of dosh you owe it to yourself to do a little research. In that league there are a few boutique options ranging from PJB style arrays to fEARful PA style cabs - to very traditional 810's. YMMV.

13. lird12

lird12

Mar 14, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for the info! I'll do my research on PJB cabs an+9B cabs and amps. Would the M300 and 6T+9B be plenty loud for medium size venues?

14. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Depends what you mean my medium... They will probably be plenty loud, but an irreversible ear damage 'my guitar sounds like a hornets nest in a paint mixer' metal band you'll probably need more than usual. Usually sound quality in those extreme scenarios are pretty weak so a PJB might go to waste. :(

15. lird12

lird12

Mar 14, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Haha, not harcore metal. Just that kind of Les Claypool style stuff. I don't even know where to get PJB stuff. Do you think an Ampeg 410 cab with a SVT7 pro will get the most out of the SPector NS4h2? Thx

16. I've been really digging my Mesa gear with my Spector Euro 5LX. Awesome tone, and more then enough power for any gig. Mesa M-Pulse 360
    Mesa Powerhouse 610 OR
    Mesa Powerhouse 412

fullrigatjamspace.

17. lird12

lird12

Mar 14, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah I was highly considering Mesa but I don't know where to try one out or even buy one for that matter. Any suggestions being in Cali? Thanks

18. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    Get the big twin T from http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/big-one.htm

And get the Markbass SD 1200 Or Carvin B2000 Head.

More than that you need a really heavy stuff.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hell yes!

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Mesa is made in California, must be one around there somewhere.:smug:

GK is another one known for slap and grind.