best amp/cabinent for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Dec 28, 2001.

1. I'm looking into getting a 4x10 cabinent with a head, but I need to know if there's anything in particular I should check out.

• I like lows and lower mids, and I don't like high mids or highs. Almost like a dub sort of sound, but not muddy, but I don't want to be stuck with one sort of sound... I'd like to be able to switch from a Colin Greenwood tone to an Adam Clayton tone, if that makes sense.
    • I really don't care if its tube or solid state
    • I don't like tons of knobs... even graphic EQs kind of annoy me. I like to get a sound I like pretty quickly
    • I'm thinking of spending around $1000, but I can go above (or preferably below) if I need to

I know thats kind of vague, but if you guys could point out different manufacturers or models based on these specs, I'd be greatful.
  2. if you dont like highs then dont get a 4x10 all the 4x10s i have played have been really high sounding i suggest you get an AMPEG 2x15 it has a horn incase one dy you want some highs(but with 2x15 you will have PLENTY of lows) .For a head i suggest you get a ampeg B2R i know you say you dont want an EQ but trust me one day you will want to change your sound and you will be sorry plus most amp heads have an EQ . i think this would be a great setup for you.
  3. I think Adam Clayton uses Ashdown gear.At least I saw an ad with him in it for Ashdown. :D
  4. Yeah, I'm definitely going to check out Ashdown, but they seem kind of expensive.

Anyone else?
  5. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Eden 2x15 or BagEnd (2)1x15

Check em out.
  6. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Oh yeah, for head, check out Euphonic Audio.

Also, if you're set on a 4x10, but don't really need volume in a rock setting, but want low end, check out the Acme B4 4x10 cabinet. Their claim-to-fame is that they can reproduce the low B without any distortion or any crap. Check that out definitely.
  7. Nah, I'm not really set on 4x10s, it just seems like everyone thinks they sound the best, so I used them as a starting point. But I'll definitely look into the Eden and BagEnd.

- Jamey
  8. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Let me enlighten you on my plan, as it may help you.

I recently purchased an Eden D410XLT. Very good low end, high end, punch, and all that. As time goes by, I will find determine whether I need another 4x10, or 1x15/18.

My suggestion is to start off with a 4x10, and work from there. A 4x10 will definitely get you started off on the right foot.