1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best amp Case for rack mounted head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyW83, Nov 4, 2013.

1. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    I have a hartke 3500 mosfet head that is in desperate need of a case! I was looking at the eurolite cases? My question though is what size case do I get? 4? 6? 8? One thing I do know is that I want to get a tuner for the rack and at some point may want to go up to an ampeg svt pro 4. Any feedback would be appreciated

2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    It's hard to pick which rack mount. It really comes down to personal needs/wants and willing to lug around weight.

I went with an 8 space rack from the get go. I had a power conditioner, tuner, preamp, 15 band EQ, compressor, sonic maximizer, power amp. A total of 85lbs. Not worth the weight for the gig.

Now I've downsize on rack gear to a 6 space rack. Preamp, tuner, bass amp. The preamp is for FOH or as a backup. Total of 45lbs.

I'm still looking to downsize. I might end up with a 4 space rack.
    Same setup, preamp, tuner and bass amp. Hopefully 25lbs.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    For your Hartke and a tuner you need 3U.
    If you want an SVT 4 (3U) and a tuner, you'll need 4U.

4U is about my limit. I don't like lugging a huge rack around, it gets old fast. If I were you I'd skip the rack tuner and get a pedal tuner. Then you'd only need a 2U rack...nice and easy.

4. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    I keep hearing to make sure theres enough air to move around and keep it cool so thats one reason I was questioning the size. I dont need a rack mounted tuner but they sure do look nice and add some class. If I went with a 4U with an SVT 4 is there enough room for air to cool the amp? Dont want to fry it

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    A "rack unit (RU)" is a standard of measurement for rack mounted equipment. 1RU is 1.75"

An SVT 4 is 3U. Most rack tuners are 1U. So if you got a 4U rack there would be no room for anything else to fit in the rack.

As for cooling, where are the vents & fans located? If they are on the top of the amp it may be worth having an extra open space for cooling purposes. On that note, I've never understood why any company has their unit cooled in this fashion. They should suck air in the front and push it out the back. No need for extra space...

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I have one of the original Hartke MOSFET 3500's and it lived forever in a standard SKB 4 space rack. The fan is on the rear of the unit. Its two rack spaces, so if you want to rack it alone, it will work in a 2 space, or you can rack it with other stuff in a 3 or 4 space.

7. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Pedal tuner is nice because it mutes your signal. I have an LH1000 and a ETA Power conditioner in a 3-space molded SKB case. I highly recommend SKB, they're tough as nails and the molded ones are pretty light for the amount of protection it offers.

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I'm pretty sure an ampeg svt4 is 4 spaces. Id get a 4 because it leaves you room for the svt when you upgrade. also you have to decide on brand. I had an skb 6 space but ended up selling it because it was too big. I have a gator 4 space now.

9. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    I would also steer clear of road ready cases. I used to work in a warehouse for a company that sold gator, skb and road ready. The wooden road ready cases came in damaged much more often than the other two brands. If an empty case in a cardboard box case can't stand up to being shipped by ups or fedex, it's not going to stand up to regular gigging.

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's not

An SVT II or II Pro is 4U

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Hmm, I have a SKB-194U that I haven't used for a while and probably will never use anymore as I have decided to stick with my micro amps. Just saying. ;)

12. Personally I've found that anything more than a 4U rack case is a pain to move. If I need more spaces I buy a second 4U case. I use SKB and have always been happy with them.

13. Shoot! You Rick. users are such wussies! :D

I'm working my way through my various systems and swapping out the power amps for lightweight versions! I guess I'm a wuss too! :)

14. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Also consider the depth of your gear. There are generally two kinds of racks: "shallow" and "regular." You'll shave off weight if you can go with a shallow rack. The SKB shallow racks are about 10.5" deep from rail to the back lid. The Gator shallow racks are about 14.75" deep. Regular racks are about 17.5" deep. The front lid adds an inch or so to accommodate knobs.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    My Walter Woods Super has been living in one of my 4 space racks with a SL Waber rackmount power strip and Korg DTR-1 tuner for over a decade, now. It almost feels like an empty rack case! :D

I have an empty 2 space SKB case that I may fill up again with someday with something if the need ever arises, again.

16. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I use a 6U SKB Standard myself. But I do have some recording gear in there, and not just live stuff. I got it at a pretty good price second hand. The price of the damn things new is madness. I probably got lucky in that the previous owner only used it for studio gear. But it's a great solid hunk of plastic, that I expect to last me a lifetime. Or until I miraculously turn into a fancy rich guy, and replace it with one of those shock-mounted racks.

17. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    How many spots on the rack will a power conditioner take up? If I got a Pro 4 with a tuner and conditioner what would be appropriate? 4 or 6? I don't see many 5u out there

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Most of the 'power conditioners' are single space, so a 4U would be fine.

Also, on "power conditioners" buyer beware.

19. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    Actually very unfamiliar a with them. What's their purpose? Why beware? Im not doing large gigs yet but a nice rig is a must must for me.

20. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    And how are the eurolite cases?! They seem most popular and pretty affordable