Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Amp for $1400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassistn8, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Whats the Best amp you can buy for around $1400? I am looking for something that has plenty of head room to get way over drums, I have been playing on PA's for years and i have no idea. All i have is a Dean Markley thing. I was looking at a Carvin R1018 http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=RL1018&P1=BA Is this a good one. I am looking for some major tone, with lots and lots of volume. Thanks!

Nathan

2. First: go used. You can get much better stuff that way. Leave buying new amps to middle-aged people with lots of disposable income. $1400 will buy you an incredible rig if you go with used gear.

For $1400, you could snag a used EBS HD350 or even an older-series Fafner, and put it on top of a 4-ohm Eden D-410XLT. You will be heard over a drummer that way.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    his smugness could not be any more correct.

lesse for 1400 you could get

eden just about anything
    swr just about anything
    aggie.... well no so much of everything
    ebs
    ea
    epifani
    ect.

BUY USED
    check bassgear.com and here and call some local stores. people do some cracked out stuff in the name of gas. call gard and get him to put his ear to the ground for ya.

then again i think brad johnson has sold his soul to be able to find some of the deals he's gotten.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nope... I still got it:D

Then again, look at what I got for $650*...

[​IMG]

* bass not included. Void where prohibited

5. I am just worried about used stuff. What about speaker type ? is the 4 tens and a 18 a good way to go? Thanks

6. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan

7. I guess i am just not sold on used stuff. I should check out some shops around here. Is there any good websites to get one from?

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    4-10 and 1-18 can be a good way to go. OTOH it's possible to get bigger, tighter lows and lots of punch with way less cabinet. OTOOH some people like big cabs... nothing wrong with that.

How do you plan on using this rig? Meaning are you looking for thump, articulation, tone or volume... or all of the above?

The Carvin rig you linked is a good way to get a nice new rig with a warranty.

As far as used goes... I bought my AMP BH-420 amp over ten years ago used:D. In this market you money can go a lot farther than you might think in the used market.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Heck, make a trip to Seattle, you have one of the best bass stores around within shouting distance;)

well, maybe not shouting but you're a lot closer to Bass NW than I am;)

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    If you buy used. you should always be able to return it within a set date without question if it doesn't meet your expectations..

11. Well, i mainly plan on using it to preform, I use to play on a a Nice PA system with a extremely powerful 18in sub and 15in mid. My "band" is getting tired of moving this stuff around. The singer bought a amp so its my turn now. I usually play infront of 500 or so people. A lot of times its outside. that last gig was a friends weding out side. and i borrowed a Carvin R600 with a 4 -10in cab. and it was perfect. But i didnt feel like it projected like the PA i was use to. So i am looking at 700watts +.

Nathan

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The singer's singing through an amp?

As much of a PITA a nice PA is to lug around, I'd still prefer that as a bassist than having to drag a PA like bass rig around. It's still not going to cover like a nice PA with subs on both sides of the stage will.

Back in the day before I figured things out my bass rig was basically a three way PA system... two JBL 4530 scoops, two 2-12 cabs and 2 wide angle horns. Volume was never an issue for me... but neither was tone:(

The Carvin rig may work, I don't know how much volume it'll kick out unassisted outside. If I had to play that loud outside I'd probably run 3 (or 4) Bag Ends through a 2 ohm stable amp/preamp setup. I bet that would get the job done. The catch? I'd have to buy them used. Believe it or not, I could find that for $1400. Good thing I don't need to play that loud:D

Yamaha PB-1 preamp $100
    Amp (TBD) $500
    Bag End S15-D (2) $480
    Bag End D10BX-D (210 coax) $240

Actually, allowing for shipping, still under $1400;)

Just something to consider.

13. Well, the singer uses a Fender Passport. Its a Glorfied amp that is kinda like a PA, But it is small. The Carvin R600 did the job just fine for the last gig i did, there was about 430 people there. and it was outside. (it was a very large wedding) Anyways the carvin did great. But the lows were there. but they didnt reach everyone. Actually i was amazed by the power and clarity the rig put out. I just missed that 18 bottom that i am use to. The reason why i am asking about amps for this price is because i was planning on buying the Carvin setup. but i read some bad reviews on it. I only played on it for 3 hours and i loved it. On the flip side i have read some really good reviews on it. I just cant figure out why they are so much cheaper then Ampeg or SWR etc...

Thanks again

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Does that include the couches?
    ;)

brad cook

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Why I oughtta.... ;)

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'm not going to touch that last question... I will say that if you like what you heard, go for it. Nothing wrong with that.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Based on my direct experience, you pretty much get what you pay for. Plain and simple, Carvin equipment is not as good a SWR or Eden. It doesn't sound as good, and it's not built as well. Yes, it works fine, and no, 99% of your audience wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But you might.

18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    munji, you get spookier looking by the week in your avatar!
    ;)

i'll second that you get what you pay for...
    and yes there are deals out there all the time but they are really few and far between when it comes down to being a deal in the long run. i.e. it doesn't fail on you and continually provides good tone throughout it's existence under your ownership.

most everyone (including myself) gives some kind of excuse for selling their gear. whether it be a new baby, car is broken, etc. but the _____ sounds great! best thing i've ever owned! i try to be truthful and say that it's because i got/want something different. but it is always the best sounding thing ever! you see it on ebay all the time and i just found it to be funny...

19. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I would definetly check out used stuff. I have two VL210's. One I bought new $925, the second I bought used $475. The used one looks almost as good as the new one. And I recently sold an Eden 410XLT for $500 and it was in dead mint condition. So there are good deals to be found. Just make sure you check them out first. And if you like the Carvin stuff it just so happens to be some for sale right at
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60389

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You get what you pay for is a good adage but I swear, I can't take advantage of all of the crazy deals I come across.

For anyone who hasn't noticed, I'll repeat:

This is a buyer's market.

I regularly buy stuff that is worth lots more than I paid for it. The Bag End D10BX-D 2-10 coax cab I just got off eBay for $280 shipped is just the latest in a long line of bargains. I think I got more than I paid for;). For a ridiculous exception to that rule, ask berklee46 about his recent purchase:D