Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best amp for 2 Ampeg portabass 1x12s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Badmuthaplucka, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    Greetings my bass borthas! :)

This is my first post. I recently acquiered two Ampeg PB-112H cabs. I've tried it with my QSC PLX 2402/Alembic rig and like the way it sounds, but would like something that a little more lighter. So now I am on a quest to find a good solid light weight amp to complete my light weight rig. My budget is about $500. Here is my short list of amps, baring in mind that the amp as to be 2ohm stable:

Eden WT330
    SWR 350
    Clarus 1
    Other?

All though I've never heard one, right now I'm leaning twards the Clarus, (The thought of a rig thats just under 50bls is very apealing) but I'm wondering if it will be enough for my needs. I'm playing in a Rock en Espaniol/Top 40 band so we have songs that range from hard rock to pop. I mainly use my custom 5 string and I almost always have PA support. For the times that I don't, I can use my trusty Eden 410xlt. So please I would aprciate your opoinions. Can you help a brotha out? :help:

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I would look into a walkabout. Its as portable as it gets, and it will supposedly run a 2 ohm load. It weighs 12 lbs.

I have a GK1001 RB that I run a 2x10 portabass cab on. More power than I have ever needed. I would think that you could get by with 400 watts from a GK 1001RB and your two cabs run in series up to an 8 ohm load. Those cabs seem to be very efficient, even for a sealed cab. I really have been happy with them!
    Wes

3. Badmuthaplucka

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    Thanks for the reply! I just read the on line manual for the walkabout and it said that although is can run a 2ohm load, it is not recomended. I'll have to try the 1001 RB. I had'nt thought about it. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I didn;'t think the walkabout was 2 ohm stable either, but someone on here used it and it worked. All of the other Mesa amps will do 2 ohm too.

The GK route will require you to rewire your speakon or 1/4" jacks. Since the cabs have both, rewire the type of connector that you use most often when using both cabs, and then just rewire the other type for a single cab hookup. To clarify, If I was running 2 4 ohm cabs, I would use the speakon connectors, and I would wire them in series. I would leave the 1/4" jack wired normal and use just the single 1/4 when I am only using a single 12.
    Good luck, and never run the series and the single 1/4" at the same time. That will probably fry your amp.
    Later,
    Wes

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    You don't need to rewire the cab, just make a speaker cord that will run the cabs in series. A buddy of mine did this with 2 EA Wizzy cabs for his Walter Woods and it works great.

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    That will work too, but I would probably make a spare cable in case I lost one. Changing the cab allows you to use any cable. It's really all the same in the end.
    Good luck,
    Wes

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    The ampeg cabs are NOT Efficient. They are all 93db/1w/1m.

8. Badmuthaplucka

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    Is this why my QSC/Alembic rig sounds good with these guys? Do I need more power than 300 watts @ 2 ohms?

BTW Thanks for the 411 on that GK Wes Whitmore and NeedMoreBass. :)

9. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    They seem really loud to me, really loud. Maybe it is because they have such a hearty E string. They roll off much more gradual than many ported cabs. I am never into the volume much, but I never used to be before them either.
    Wes

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you already have a nice onboard EQ for your bass, then the Clarus is a great choice.

has a smokey yet sweet tone, that gives your bass its natural tone. the heads are great, but IMHO, a great bass should be allowed to heard clearly without your rig getting in the way. e.g. my Sadowsky's sound killer thru the AI stuff.

check it out at www.basstasters.com

not to spam you, but i'm selling my Clarus 1A head in the emporium. i'm upgrading to the Focus 600.

besides what other bass head allows you go from gig to gig like this? ;) :

[​IMG]

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    eh,

i've tried my AI thru a rental pair of portabass 1x12's, and it was PLENTY loud. IMHO, i'd say the clarus is enough for your needs. also, the newer Portabass cabs i've heard are MUCH better than the 1st initial release, which i found harsh, thin and wimpy. the newer ones are richer, browner, smoother, with a nice stout punch. would make a killer rig with the Clarus.

again, hope it doesnt seem like spam, cause i couldnt care less if the AI sells or not. like the Focus will get to more door step anytime soon... :rolleyes:

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    At the risk of a bit of self-promotion, you might try a PortaBass PB800 amplifier....800W+....pretty compact....not very heavy.

13. Badmuthaplucka

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    PM sent ;)

14. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    my Mesa Walkabout does the same thing. weighs about 15 lbs and a has a shoulder bag. I was able to get a used one for 699. Plus i read somewhere on this board that Mesa's been testing the Walkabout at 2ohms in their labs with no probs...i was bad at reading comprehension so i suggest trying to find that thread.