1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best amp for Bergantino ER mini stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TSanders, Mar 24, 2010.

1. What would you consider the best amp for a Bergantino extended range mini stack (HT112ER/EX112ER)?

I am using a GK 700RB-II that I like VERY much. Its a great amp with a bunch of options and it sounds more powerful than its rated.

I am considering (when funds allow) a GK Fusion 550 or Mesa M6 or M9.

What do you think?*

* I will not even entertain MarkBass so if you mention MarkBass, it will fall on deaf ears.

2. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Walkabout? I know you didn't mention it as a possibility. But, I like that amp.

3. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Aguilar DB751. Expensive, but it is amazing with these cabs.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I have two older, smaller HT112s. I've used them with GK & EA heads but my favorite combo by far is with Eden. They sound great with my Eden WT-400 but I'm sure they'd sound even better with the extra juice of a WT-550 or WT-800. I'm sure the Fusion and Mesas would sound great, too.

5. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    What Winston said:

I much prefer my Eden WT400 through my Berg HT112/EpiT112 mini stack over a Shuttle 6.0. I think the Epi T112 is a great fit with the HT112 on top

The Eden is plug and play, I have to dick around with the Shuttle to eliminate some annoying mid honk and the lows are not as musical. It is tighter, and will remain my backup to the WT-400

6. Travis,

What are your thoughts on the GK700Rb driving the ER stack - like it ?? not quite right??

Is there anything it can't do?

Do you think the Fusion or the Mesa amps might be a a better alternative?

Sorry about the questions. Just trying to see if there 700RB is one of the best amps to drive this stack.

7. AndrewMagrini

AndrewMagrini Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2007
    NYC
    Just put my order for my Berg cabs and Aguilar AG500SC, which I would suggest from testing one out with a pair of 112's recently

8. babaseen

babaseen Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I'm now interested in the same. Any further recommendations? Maybe a pre/power config but light weight is a prime consideration. I was wrestling with the RH750 versus Kern/QSC but maybe not. Type of gigs range from blues to loud jazz fusion (slap and fretless for both).

Thanks for any suggestions.

9. I drive my HT112ER/EX stack with a Markbass LM3 and love it. Playing in a rock/indie/pop covers band. The only other head I GAS for is the Markbass F500 for the extra mid EQ features (that I'd probably rarely use, if ever!).

10. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ

Funny.

Sorry.

I sure enjoyed the S900 with the Bergs the last time I played them. I'm sure the eden stuff would rock too.

If only they made 600+ watt walkabout... M-Pulse 600. That would probably rock. I only say that because last time I tested the walkabout verses the Carbines, there was something smooth and magical about the walkabout.

11. 77PBass

77PBass Inactive

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Walkabout or Orange TB500.

I am gassing for a Walkabout but I currently use the BT500 with a single AE112 or 2xHT115's. The sound is hi-fi with lots of bottom using both passive and active basses. I tend to roll the highs back to 11:00, mid flat and bass at 2:00.

With the BT500, you get a sense the sound passing through, transparently to the Bergs. The bergs reproduce what they are given from bottom to top.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    The best amp I've heard with the berg mini stack is a Walter Woods head. I used to have an Eden WT400 and it sounded quite good. I've had a markbass for a few years now with my stack....but I won't tell you about that one. :D I'm very curious about the new Aguilar Tonehammer 500 myself. I'll be that's a great match.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My favorite rig with any cab... Berg HT112ER's included... is the Reiner tube preamp, made by TalkBasser JGR. It's like an Alembic F2B on steroids.

IMG_20110604_173620.jpg

But really, those cabs are so great that they'll even make a MarkBass sound good. :ninja::D

14. len13

len13

Jan 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I am really happy with the sound of my Genz Benz Streamliner 900 matched to these cabs. Works great for my fretted and fretless basses.Big,warm and round with definition , and light weight too!

15. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Just avoid the Shuttle 6.0. I tried it with that combination and it wasn't fun at all!

I love it with the LMII/LMIII.

16. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I have a WW stereo green light that I run bridged through a Berg mini-stack (HT112ER/EX112ER). It's the best sounding rig I've played through in 43 years (!) of playing out. There is a Walter Woods stereo on *bay right now for a great price.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yup. With all of the new lightweight heads out there I'd still like to get a Woods eventually.

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Depends on what type of tone you're looking for -- GK MB800, Mesa M9, Genz ShuttleMax 9.2, or TCE RH750 would be good to check out.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, those are all very good options. I tend to lean towards either GK or my M6 for my ER cabs, as well.

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I'd love to hear that rig!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020