Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best amp "for both?"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I play both electric and upright...even both at the same job a lot. So, I spend a lot of time agonizing about what might be the best amp to cover both needs. I'm currently using an swr baby blue II for real small jobs, swr super redhead for middlin' jobs...and either a mesa 400+ or bbe/qsc plx1602 thru a schroeder 410 or Henry 8x8 for big rooms.
    I'm not unhappy with any of this, but they all have their compromises.
    Just wondering what you all think might work better? I've considered a lot of things, and sort of come to the conclusion that while an iAMP800 or Thunderfunk or whatever else I think about might work as well as what I have, *maybe* the only thing that might actually be better would be a Walter Woods Ultra...hmmm...

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dunno. a lot of doublers here use the acousitc image heads with an epifani 1x10 and 1x12 cabinet. I have known some doublers locally who use the bag end 1x15 with various heads. i don't think there is a "right way" to do it, but it seems to me that you'd want soemthing small, (you are bringing a doghouse already), and that could be loud enough for the electric in medium volume sttings.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    couple guys digging the AI Focus and Schroeder 1210 or 1212... I bet a Focus on your 410 would suit both sides fine

4. Jimbo from the Reverend Horton heat uses 2.1 worlds and SVP's through two 8x10's on his rig. He only plays upright, but you could run a BG through it no problem.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I play both-range from loud rock settings to small combos to big bands settings [i'm in high school]. I run a 6 space rack, w/different preamps setup for the different basses e.g. the BBE BassMax T is set for electric bass, and the RBI is set for upright. I lug an Avatar Cab [either a 2X10 for really small stuff, 2X12 for pretty much anything else, or add a 1X15 when i need even more]. The poweramp i am running is a Carvin DCM2000-it's overkill. That's all

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Cam, I could definately go that way by adding a second pre to my bbe/qsc plx 1602 rack...Just not sure which one:)
    I have a friend here locally who runs his db thru an eden wt900 and henry8x8, and that seems to work for him...

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Chef-so far, i've only tried playing the upright through the RBI, i'm in the process of buying an RPM off of another member here and once that arrives-it will get the upright run through. I've been more or less shooting in the dark with the upright amp stuff and have been making the stuff i have work. If the RPM turns out especially well-i will let you know.

That's all and good luck.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Now running eden navigator to qsc/plx 1602 bridged to schroeder 410. This works quite well for db with a little help from the para eq, and well with slab set about flat...

9. My teacher love his new Acoustic Image. He is both a professional DB and EB player....It's tremendously small, and if your ElBass sound good, it will on the AI.

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Glad things worked out.

Just for others that are looking for the same thing, the new epifani 502ul head has two ch and sounds great! Gets loud too for being small.

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I thought i'd add this little tidbit after running the upright through the RPM for a few weeks. HOLY CRAP!! I likey. It's like someone took the sound of my upright and just made it a LOT louder. With the RBI-i always had to make a sacrifice or too much boom or too much clack. W/the RPM-it sounds remarkably natural with everything set flat. I likey. :bassist: I also now have a full 6 space rack. Pluggin the electrics into the BMax T, upright into the RPM, and the RBI left for whatever extra sound i want.

That's all

12. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    iAmp 800 is great for EUB - and should handle your electrics nicely.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Now that you have the Navigator, I feel confident in saying that you won't hear a significant difference in switching to a head like the iAMP, Thunderfunk, or even WWU. I happen to own all of the above options (except for the Thunderfunk, which I am borrowing and have used extensively), and my Navigator into a PLX 3002 is superior in most regards to all of them. That said, those are three impressive, fairly compact (or very compact, in the case of the WWU) heads, and the fact that it takes a good sized rack rig to surpass them should speak highly for all of them. But, my point is, if you don't mind lugging your rack around, then you are really not "missing out" by using your current setup.

One item that would be well worth adding, though, would be a Raven Labs MDB-1. This would allow you to leave both of your instruments plugged in, with gain set appropriately for each, and would also provide a buffer pre for your upright. In my experience, I leave everything on the Navigator set mostly flat for electric bass (but with Enhance set to about 9:00), and then when I switch to upright, I dial in a notch on one of the parametrics to fight feedback. I can get ridiculously loud on the upright with this rig, and it sounds very good to my ears. Perhaps slightly "electric-like", but still fairly "upright-sounding." The iAMP or WWU might do a better job in this regard, but again, it's splitting hairs.

So, hopefully this helps you feel better about your current rig. It's a great setup! How do you like your Shroeder for upright?

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Tombowlus: I really like this setup a lot. The Schoeder KILLS in every regard. I have the horn dialed back to about 15-20%, and it's big, warm, round, and really "omnidirectional." I have had serious problems hearing myself in the past, even tho bandmates could hear me fine. Now I can hear me too. I point the angled side firing speakers up, and at me. The only thing I might like better would be the 21012, but Jorg recommended the 410 specifically to me for my doubling needs-after many long conversations with him. The only thing I might have done differently is go to the plx 3002 like you for more headroom, but I can't imagine really needing it...
    As far as needing two inputs, I can run the bmax into one qsc channel, and the nav into the other one...but then I'm down to "only 800 watts."

15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Glad you found a set up thst works for you chef! Im a big fan of using my plx 2402 in stereo with different speakers and preamps. I use the Raven PMB II for DB and a Demeter VTBP-201s for EB. For speakers I have Berg HT210 and 115 that I actually like best for EB but they work for DB pretty well. Eventually I will get a better speaker for DB (110 or 112 of some sort) and my rig will be complete! :cool:

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I played them both at Pete Skjold's shop, and although I probably slightly preferred the 21012, the 410 was also very suite, just a tad different. The 21012 might have had slightly boosted lows or low mids compared to the 410, while the 410 might have had a bit more overall clarity. I didn't spend a ton of time A/Bing them, as I was mostly there checking out Pete's outstanding basses. Jorg certainly knows his stuff, so I am sure there are reasons he recommends the 410 for doubling.

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I play fretted 5, fretless 6 and upright through a:

Boss TU-2
    Avalon U5
    PreSonus Blue Max Compressor
    QSC PLX 1202
    Bergantino HT112

I like the sound and so do most people I play with.

18. I just got the Focus 2R and Schroeder 1212+1210 to replace a Kern pre-amp-Eden WT1000 power amp and Eden 215XLT rig.I play mostly string bass (loud!!) and bass guitar.I bring both to gigs and use the Raven Lab box too.

For most gigs the Focus and 1 box is plenty.I have GAS to get the power amp only version of the Focus so I can drive both cabs when needed,but this is so much easier and simplier than the old rig.

If your back gets tired from the pre/power combo head,consider the little heads(WW or AI).I'm glad I did!