Best amp for Epifani UL 410??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D-funk, Aug 29, 2005.

1. D-funk

Nov 28, 2000
    I perform in New York City and have been looking for the best portable set-up for years. A while back I settled on an Acme low B-2 (2X10 cabinet) with an Aguilar AG 500 head. While the tone is great, the Aguilar's protective mechanism causes it to cut off when it clips (with the Acme, when the gain is at 12 o'clock or higher). Tone is important to me but on most of my gigs, volume is my #1 concern.
    I've been encouraged (by the "Epifani 4x10 vs. Ampeg 4x10" thread) in my consideration of the Epifani UL 410 as an upgrade option (if I start lugging a 4X10 cabinet, it's gotta be light!). I was wondering what people thought of trying to power a 4 ohm UL 410 with the Aguilar AG 500 (500 watts at 4 ohms). Does this sound like an effective approach in terms of trying to get the most volume? I also like that the Aguilar AG will fit into my gig bag because it's not that deep, so I guess my next consideration would be which other amps would also be as compact but even louder than the Aguilar? Finally, without considering the portability of the amp, what would you suggest as the LOUDest 1-piece amp I could use with the UL 410?
    Thanks for reading all this! :)
  2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    thunderfunk. ken jung can give you more details since he has an epifani ul410 and thunderfunk setup, but for what you are describing i would definitely say thunderfunk is the way to go. another nice option would be the eden wt550...
  3. Here I come again on the Epi's... sorry, I love them so much I can't help myself. I think the Ag would sound just fine with the Epi... and since the EpiUL line (and most other cabs) are much more efficient than the Acme, you will notice a huge increase in volume, even with a smaller Epi. My suggestion is that if you've been even close to cutting the gig with that B210 and the Ag, and Epifani310UL and the Ag would really be a volume improvement over the Acme, and the 310UL would save you 10 pounds vs. the 410UL and would not be much heavier than the Acme210. It owuld allow you to fit the cab in the back seat of almost any car, you can carry it at least for short distances with one hand, and it's tall enough to easily use removable castors and just wheel it in (and it also sounds great).

I love the TF550/410UL though (as many of you painfully know by now), but from what you are talking about... the Ag/310UL will be a great improvement, will allow you to keep your head and save some size/weight/money to boot! :hyper:

I'm sure other's will jump in.

PS The loudest 1 piece amp.... probably the Eden800(b) running into the 410UL at 4ohms... but again, you don't need to go there from what you are describing.
  4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    From what I've heard/experienced, nothing brings out the sound of the Epi cabs like Epi heads do. The UL502 is DEFINITELY worth checking out. Or else the 902, which is more powerful.

EDIT: a new cab in itself will do wonders, so I'd personally hold off on getting a new head until you try the AG through a different cab.
  5. I've heard nothing but good things about them also. However, just trying to save the thread originator some money.... I feel his volume problem is 95% the Acme 210... so a more efficient cab with that head should work wonders.... whether it's an Epi, an Accugroove, a Berg... whatever :) And being in NY.... that 310UL and that small Ag head would really be a wonderful combination of small, loud and light. I would choose a different head myself... but since he owns it already and seems to like the tone... we are now only talking in the hundreds of dollars (maybe $650 plus selling the Acme) to swap out the Acme for the Epi310UL.

PS. The Groove Shoppe is a great dealer for these cabs... especially if you are in the NY area.
  6. D-funk

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks for the replies- Yeah right now with the Acme I don't even hear anything until turning the gain on the Aguilar up to 9 o'clock.

I see it would also to behoove me to seriously consider that UL 310. Another thought I had, if I went with the 410, does anyone know if this would fit into the trunk of a taxi?

7. I don't think either the 310 or 410 would fit in a taxi trunk (no way for the 410... and the 310 is still 18" deep, so probably not).... the 310 would fit in the back seat. A pair of 112's (either EpifaniUL's or Accugrooves) would probably fit, though.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502 Epifani UL502
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    big head, but i really like the sound of an aggie 750 running into an epi 410ul.

no question, the epi is a loud cab, and if you really don't need stupid volume almost any of those little heads (t-funk, eden, epi, ag500, etc) will do ya fine. But, the epi 410ul can handle mondo watts, and i think they reccomend using 1.5 times the rms power rating on the epi website (see reccomended amplifier power) keep in mind that the epi 410ul is an 8 ohm cab (i could be wrong, but it might be available in 4 ohms or 8 ohms). If you go with one of the small heads, and you're sure you won't be adding another cab, i might go with a 4 ohm cab. i know the eden will power 2 ohms, but i'm not sure abou the other heads mentioned.
  10. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1 .. which brings to total number of UL-502 votes (incl Joker's) to 12,947 :D
  11. Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    I gotta agree and say the 502 is a super smooth sounding head which just sounds right with the Epi UL's.

I have the UL310 and it has handled everything thus far, although I'm fighting a GAS attack for the UL410 for large non PA supported gigs......I haven't tried the 410 but keep reading glowing reports on it ('re really testing my resistance!! ;) )

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh, btw. considering you're doing the nyc thing......

check out the 310ul cab. It's considerably smaller and easier to fit in tight spaces (like taxicabs) then the 410 and there really isnt much of a tradeoff volume wise. It's also very easy to pick up with one hand.
  13. The Epifani 310 is definately my favorite cab out there. I can't wait till I can get one for myself! The Epifani heads are also excelent and very very portable. A complete Epifani setup weighs about 60 lbs!
  14. 4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Last night I watched/listened to JJ Placencio playing a KS4, Mesa Boogie head (not sure of model) and Epi 410. The venue was a nicely laid out HS auditorium. It really sounded nice. Excellent bottom and mid. Tight and punchy. Afterwards, I helped him load it in the back of his Honda wagon (not much room there either) at it fit fine. It was MUCH lighter than I expected.

I guess the only think of value in my comment is that an Epi 410 will fint in the back of a Honda wagon. The rest is my opinion. :D
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

tonight, i was able to fit my UL310 into the trunk of an NYC taxi cab! really shocked my butt.

but at the same time, i thought to myself, the UL410 would NOT fit in there... c'est la vie.

also, dont let the little pair of 1x12's fool you. they put out at least as much volume as a 4x10 cab. not as punchie, but the depth, fatness, and bass booty is all there. aguilar makes a nice pair, course, Epifani makes a nice really lightweight pair. ;)
  16. +1 However, I find a massive difference in volume and bottom between the 310UL and 410UL. The 310UL puts out plenty of ooomph for most gigs, but just no comparison (and I've done the comparison!) in very high volume situations... the 410UL is much fuller in the low end and does the 'hit you in the chest' thing that the 310 doesn't quite do. However, that's only in the loudest of playing situations....80% of the time, the 310 is more than enough.

Also, if really small and loud is your main goal, don't forget the Schroeder 1210 or 1212.
  17. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    +1 on this. A pair of 112UL's is the ultimate portable rig. They handle enough power and get loud enough to cut it on almost any gig and, for small gigs, you can bring just one. And they weight only 30LBS each!
  18. +1.... options, options, options :hyper:
  19. I have an Epi 410 UL paired with a Carvin B1500: MASSIVE sound! Super punchy, HIFI, loud & très musical. I'll NEVER play another rig.

20. I've never had the pleasure of playing out of that amp, but from the specs... it looks like the 'big wump' :bassist: