Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best amp for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grungtertl, Mar 14, 2005.

1. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    I have two Bergantino Cabs, a HT210, and a HT115, whats the best head/amp for me?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The first suggestion that comes to mind is a Walter Woods Ultra, but those ain't cheap. For half that price, an EA iAMP 800 might also be good, but yes, we need to know what tone you are after, and what types of gigs.

3. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    I play like jazz and progressive jams...

I play a G&L L-2000 Custom...

I dont want to go past $900 if i dont have to, I am going to look for used first...

I like tubes...

Looking for an upperclass amp that i can power a passive bass with, but still be able to play with a drummer, percussion, 2 guitars, and a keyboard/piano...

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, the iAMP 800 would seem to fit the bill, except that it does not have tubes. Some folks, though, think that it sounds rather tube-like (in an uncolored kind of way). Check out the clips on basstasters.com.

Do you want an all-tube head? If so, there is a used Peavey Classic 400 for sale up at Low Down Sound for $690.

If you would consider a hybrid head, a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 might do the trick. Or maybe an Eden WT-550.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    your best option may be to go with a preamp/poweramp combination. A stewart power 1.6 or plx1202 with a sansamp rbi (should be about $900). Or go with something like an RMX that you can find around $300-350 and get something like a demeter preamp (which is tube) which should put you a little over $900.

Any case you probably really need around 1000+ watts running at 4ohms to really get a good sound. Bergs like power so more power is better.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, the preamp of your choice (see basstasters.com), paired up with a nice power amp (say, Stewart World 2.1 if you want a lightweight amp, or a Crest CA9 if you don't mind lugging a lead sled) would be a good route.

Tom.

7. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    Is the poweramp and preamp better or should i go for an all tube head?

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It all depends on what you want to sound like. I think Jim B has a preference for big, heavy solid state amps with a nice preamp ( or a Walter Woods, if you must go the lightweight head route), but I have used an Aguilar DB 659 into a DB 728 with my HT310/HT115, and they sound pretty good (though not as tight as they do with my CA9).

9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    With the bergs particularly you are better off with a SS power amp. The bergs like power, and tubes amps don't have enough wattage to really drive the speakers. I have a berg 310 which is a great sounding cabinet, but leaves alot to be desired with my Aguilar 680/728 combo. On the other hand, the same preamp with a mackie 1400 sounds alot better.
    Don't get me wrong, the 680/728 combo with the berg is not awful, just doesn't provide the best sound for the cab, especially when pushed to the edge with lows. All the all tubes heads I have seen top out at 400-500 watts, and probably won't be at your target price range

10. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    So what kind of wattage am i talking here, to power both berg cabs?

11. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    600w-900w should offer plenty of head room at least 500w SS would be fine as well but 400w tube (Aguilar DB728) would be enough. For the stuff you like to play (Jazz, Progressive jams) I wouldn't say you need the all tube sound. A nice warm tube pre and a SS poweramp (I recommend a QSC PLX) should do nicely.

12. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    Whats a good tube pre?

13. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Aguilar, although not much $$$ left over for the power amp.
    Ampeg might be a better option for the more classic or tube tone to pair with a power amp. That way you can get the tone your into and the power you need for your cabs.

14. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    When i am looking for a power amp do i want the wattage to be more than both cabs combined, or just one of the cabs? Both together i think are 900 watts, but i think the cab with most watts is the 210 at 500 watts, so am i looking for a 600 watt power amp or a 1000 watt power amp?

15. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    Would an all tube amp work for me 300 - 500 watts? Or would the solid state power amp with tube pre be a better choice?

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Fender Bassman 300 Pro/Sunn 300T should do it for you 300 tube watts of face melting power

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, a 300-400 watt tube amp will be loud as all getout, but the tone will be quite different, so it all depends on what you are after as far as sound.

Tom.

18. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    Anyone try a mesa/boogie bass 400+ or a Eden VT300...

19. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    If you want the best,try a Glockenklang BassArt Classic.To me,no other head designed for bass guitar comes close to it!

20. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Kern IP-777