1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Amp for Musicman Stingray5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KERMITNT, Mar 13, 2008.

1. KERMITNT

KERMITNT

Mar 7, 2008
    Athens GR
    Hi guys i need your help

I got a Peavey TKO 115 at home for practice and i dont really like the sound that delivers to my bass.. I have to say that a fender skb sounds better when eq are not in full mode.

The B string is a problem in how it sounds in amps and now i am realizing it.. (with stingray u can play any sound but you need a good amp)
    I have to say that i got at studio an Ashdown 410CT MAG 300 that sound great..

So what sould i do ? Sell the tko and buy what ? Markbass? Combo (they are light amps), Or buy a head and pug it in TKO? I dont know please help me i am so :confused::confused:

Thanks again my

BASSGREETINGS TO YA ALL!!!

2. MKT711

MKT711

Jan 21, 2006
    Thats a really good question. I play a 4-string music man with an Ampeg SVT 410hlf cab and a SVT-450 head.

I love ampeg and it works with my stingray like a dream.

And just to let you know I have little knowledge about amps but I figured I would impart to you what I know. You wont go wrong with Ampeg.

3. Stingrays can be quite fussy about what amps and effects etc they sound good with (something to do with the output impedence of the bass, from what ive heard).

Love it with an ampeg tho. SVT-II into 810 or 215, lovely!

4. KERMITNT

KERMITNT

Mar 7, 2008
    Athens GR
    so yes thats true but should i sell peavey or is working the head in there.. i never played with head and cabin cause all of my amps were combo mag 300 410combo..

so ASHDOWN ABM500 EVOII or AMPEG SVT450H or MARKBASS F1 or ASHDOWN MK500 or MARK KING MARKBASS LMK or SWR WORKINGPRO 700

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    MarkBass works great++ with an SR5 if you like clear, transparent (yet warm and punchy) tones. The reason why I plan to sell my MarkBass rig is that I'm after something more tubey.

6. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    GK and Stingrays go very well together.

JR

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ill second that. Been rocking an SR5/GK rig for a while now.

8. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    I really like my Ampeg SVT Classic with my Ampeg 8X10 cab

9. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I'll 3rd that.
    I finally got a chance to bust out the GK1001RBII with an Epifani UL310 (S1) and EBMM SR4 HH. Sounded wonderful in a full band setting. :)

10. If you are looking at ampeg, id forget about that amp (IMO)

11. I've had very pleasant experiences with my SR5s through Markbass, GK, and Eden.

12. Little Mark II from MarkBass

The Little Mark II was practically made for the SR5 according to a fellow TB'er. He ONLY has SR5 basses (he has like 10 of them, all diff. variations). I think his TB name is Stankface?

I personally have a Musicman Sterling and it kicks major ass through the Little Mark II.

The two bass guitar knobs, the modern and vintage control knobs, work wonders. They really enhance the sound of the bass.

13. So in summary... use it with everything and you'll sound good.

j/k.....

I just parted with my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro for the Markbass Little Mark II to use with my SR5. It's a fantastic combo. The 6 lbs. weight and $599 price CANNOT be beat!!! Seriously.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Markbass, GK, Epifani.

15. My Stingray sounded the best through my Traynor YBA200. It likes to push on tubes. It also sounded good through a V4 with the volume (on the bass) backed off a little.

16. Woking Bass

Woking Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    I dont nknow the best amp for a Ray, but I cant get mine sounding good through an Aguilar db680 pre/qsc/Aguilar gs410- My '78 P kills with this rig though!!

17. My 'ray 5 Sounds SUPER thru the Mark Bass LMII, Awesome thru the Ampeg V4BH, & AWESOME thru the Ampeg SVT2. Remember HELP & help are different-ONES BIG!

18. IMHO If you are playing active or various models of bass guitars, it helps to have a full-range speaker ,a clean power section and a clean and flexible pre-amp. This type of setup would let the sound of each model of bass come through. Then use your pre-amp to adjust EQ to taste for whatever bass you are playing. If you like different cabinet sounds then a modling pre-amp covers that. It's like having your own PA for bass. Your will hear a Stingray or you will hear a Jazz or you will hear a Pedulla etc. When you go with a set amp/cab combination that adds its color ie an Ampeg SVT and 8x10/no horn, its always going to be a Stingray through Ampeg or a Jazz through Ampeg etc. Not saying that is bad but if you are asking what works best, the above approach will let you experiment to find the voice YOU want!

:bag:

19. I've been am SR5 player for the past 15 years, and I've played it through just about everything.

My faves: SWR, GK, and I'm currently digging an LMII/Epi UL-310 S2 rig.

About the only amps that didn't do it for me were Eden. I know others on here like them and I'm cool with that, but they didn't work for me.

As always, MHO, YMMV.

20. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    I've played stingrays through walkabouts on several occasions and I must say they have a sweet sound!
    though I dont see you going wrong with an SVT!