1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Amp For Practice To Small Gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bpd024, Aug 6, 2007.

1. bpd024

bpd024

Aug 6, 2007
    I've been playing with my band and there's one guitarist (we plan on adding another) who plays through a Roland 30W cube and a drummer. I've been using my Fender Rumble 15 but that doesn't cut it. I've been looking at the 180W Behringer. What are your opinions on what would be best?

P.S. I use a Fender 24 Deluxe Jazz Bass with no pre-amps or effects.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I couldn't tell you what would be "best". I can simply tell you that I use a Nemesis model NC-210 2x10 combo amp. It has great features and a great sound, and the price is right. I like it a lot and heartily recommend it.

MM

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
  4. only4

only4

Aug 12, 2006
    Manchester UK
    I have been using an Ashdown EB12-180 for about a year now and i have to say that for the price it has been the best money i have ever spent, i have an extension cab for bigger stuff but on its own it's great.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Options abound, but I always recommend the Roland Cube 100, which should be fine for small gigs. If you play medium or loud gigs, it won't be enough without PA support, but it is very loud for its size and power rating.

6. Divesh

Divesh

Aug 5, 2007
    I would go for ashdown Mag series.
    You could also get an Ashdown Superfly head which has some really good reviews and is very cheap, for soem reason(280$) and some cabs. If you live in America, go for the Avatar cabs!
    Perosnally, I'm getting the Superfly + Eden Nemesis NSP212 and in the future some other 1x15 or 2x10 or 4x10 cab.

7. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon

I picked up a like new Ashdown EB 15-180 on craigslist and I LOVE it... has plenty of oomph for what I have been doing (practice, church, etc...), great sound, and I have not even really opened it up all the way. I just recieved yesterday a Ashdown mag 2x10 extension in case my pastor wants more volume...

8. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    SWR Workingman's 10. Amazing little combo!! This was my main amp for rehearsals and church. I have never had a problem being heard or cutting through the mix-without going through the PA! The SWR is now a backup since I have "graduated" to an EA Micro 300, Wizzy 10 and Schroeder Mini 10 +L. I started out with a Workingman's 15. Since I started using the Workigman's 10, the 15 hasn't been getting much use. Since being discontinued, the Workingman's 10 will not be easy to find!

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    That's one of the rigs that I'm gassin' for. Do you have the backpack for it?

I know that SWR isn't really popular around TB, but I have no complaints. I bought SWR before and I would absolutely buy it again.

Do you have an opinion on the Working Pro's 12?

Joe

10. stealth51

stealth51

Jan 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    GK Backline 112

11. In the for sale forums there is a 200 watt 210 Nemesis that sounds like it would fit the bill nicely.

12. Ampeg BA115 has worked really well for me. Great combo amp @ 100 watts.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A single 15 with 100-150 watts would do it. The Ampeg would be a good choice, and there are others areound.

14. I like the Eden Metro for small jazz combo/small coffee shop gigs and practice. If you need to go larger...add the D210XST and you got a whole bunch ah.

If that is too large...the Eden CXC110 w/a 112 box under it... :)

15. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Yes, I do have the backpack. It is still hard to believe how much lighter the Micro 300+Wizzy 10+backpack+cables is compared to the Workingman's 10-AND HOW BIG THIS SET UP SOUNDS!!!! I don't know much at all about the Working Pro's 12. I believe the Working Pro's line replaced the Workingman's line of amps.

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

16. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    That's a nice little amp.

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    $$$

You could probably blow a wall out of a small coffee shop with that amp. ;)

Joe

18. bigfiddle

bigfiddle

Aug 25, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    For practice and small gigs = GK800RB/Bag End S15-D.
    Add 15's as needed!

19. Yeah kinda agree... The church bought one for us. Its kinda noisy and basic with respect to options. The 'up' side is the GK Backline 112 is not heavy at all.. not large, and its built as a 'tilt' combo (nice touch)

No, it will not drive an external cab as its rated at 100Watts RMS. Also.. no XLR 'out'.. so a DI is necessary unless you want to patch into the 'line out'.

20. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    If there is a tuner out, you could use that as the direct out. That's what I did with my SWR LA12. I recently needed to do this at church and read in the user manual that it was a legit thing to do. I'm going to guess that it would also be cool with the GK. Please let me know if I'm wrong on this issue. I've only used the tuner out as a direct out that one time. It worked fine.

Joe