Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Amp for Progressive Metal sound?....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Legless Chair, Apr 14, 2003.

1. i am looking to buy a new amp but am completely stuck on what to choose. I currently have a Yorkville 200w, but i find it is almost too bassy and am looking for an amp which can give me nice mids, and not badly distorted lows. I play in a progressive metal band which sounds like Opeth mixed with Dream Theater mixed with Slayer, so i am looking for a versatile amp. I have been looking at some SWR combo's and the Fender Bassman 300,but i want to know if there is better and cheaper amps. I am preferrably looking for a combo, somewhere between 800$ to 1400$. Any help is appreciated! :confused: :confused:

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. Do that, throw on a poweramp and a Peavey Max, you'd be rocking out for about 600-700. Rockin' loud and fast, might I add.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think I would like your band!:bassist:

4. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Are you sure you want to go with a Combo? I would look towards something that i could Expand more On..

I have an M-2000(Amp) w/ a Bergantino HT-322 and I have all the different Tones you can Imagine..
    If you don't have enough money for a Rig, then continue to save untill you can purchase a rig..You could get an M-2000 from Mesa Boogie for $999.00 and since you were (or are) planning on purchasing a combo you could get 1 2x10 or a 2x12 Cab..You chould be able to Purchase that type of Rig for about $1400.00....

If you want a Bigger Cabinet, then hold off from purchasing the Cab untill you have enough for the Cab size you want...