Best Amp for Progressive Metal sound?....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Legless Chair, Apr 14, 2003.

1. i am looking to buy a new amp but am completely stuck on what to choose. I currently have a Yorkville 200w, but i find it is almost too bassy and am looking for an amp which can give me nice mids, and not badly distorted lows. I play in a progressive metal band which sounds like Opeth mixed with Dream Theater mixed with Slayer, so i am looking for a versatile amp. I have been looking at some SWR combo's and the Fender Bassman 300,but i want to know if there is better and cheaper amps. I am preferrably looking for a combo, somewhere between 800$ to 1400$. Any help is appreciated! :confused: :confused:
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. Do that, throw on a poweramp and a Peavey Max, you'd be rocking out for about 600-700. Rockin' loud and fast, might I add.
  3. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think I would like your band!:bassist:
  4. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Are you sure you want to go with a Combo? I would look towards something that i could Expand more On..

I have an M-2000(Amp) w/ a Bergantino HT-322 and I have all the different Tones you can Imagine..
    If you don't have enough money for a Rig, then continue to save untill you can purchase a rig..You could get an M-2000 from Mesa Boogie for $999.00 and since you were (or are) planning on purchasing a combo you could get 1 2x10 or a 2x12 Cab..You chould be able to Purchase that type of Rig for about $1400.00....

If you want a Bigger Cabinet, then hold off from purchasing the Cab untill you have enough for the Cab size you want...