Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dreamwave, Feb 11, 2002.

1. I'm looking to buy an amp for my recording studio in the future. It doesn't need to be loud since I like to mic them up AND run direct. The combination of tones is nice to play with during the mix. Should I buy a a small combo or does it need to be really loud(like guitar amps which need high gain in order to sound good---usually) which would require me to get a full stack? If its any help to answer, I have a Zon Legacy Elite V which was purchased for client use. Thanks!
  2. what's your budget? i think an SWR super redhead would be great.
  3. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Now, how often do you hear someone say that? :D ;)
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Put more $$$ into the Preamp.
    On our new CD I did a few of tracks mic'ed, a couple through the direct out/mic'ed, and one direct into the board. That alone provides enough variable tone. Our engineer has a ton of effects packages and sonic enhancers. You'll get the most bang for your buck there.

I used my Hartke HA3500, as a head, there are enough controls for me, and it did better in the studio than I like it for live work. I ran it through a BagEnd S15B-D and a Hartke 12".

I don't think you need to record "loud" to get a good sound. Frankly, I was pretty quiet. I prefered that. I have a pretty dry, lo-fi, earthy tone for the most part.

That Zon is a nice bass. The tone not really fitting my music right now.

Cost not being an issue, you should get:
    a tube head (Ampeg, a 400watt would be enough)
    a solid head (SWR is nice, so is Ashdown, Eden)
    Look at the Ampeg Billy Sheehan Preamp, Aguillar had a nice one too. I'd put most of my money here.

Speakers, get -
    a 115 or 118 (BagEnd)
    a 210, 212 (BagEnd)
    a 410 (Hartke XL or Eden)
  5. Speaking of preamps, I have heard of people using studio grade pre's on the bass. Since we are also looking for a good mic pre, I thought abought getting an Avalon VT-737sp. People say they are amazing for bass.
  6. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    For one thing, I would not bother getting an 18" cab. You need to mike it anything from 12-20ft away to pickup the sound - not very practical. You may also consider smaller valve combos, in the 100W range. In our studio we have a 100W Leslie-type valve/amp cab that sounds awesome, and is too loud to get it to the point where it distorts and survive the experience, so 400W Ampeg would be an overkill for a studio.

I'd also agree with others on the preamp - Alembic, Aquilar, or maybe the new rack-mount SansAmp.
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :confused: that's not been my experience at all. i use 18" pa subs, and i mic them ~3 feet from the driver with an AKG d112. i get a great bass sound, very round and full, with an excellent tone all the way down to low F#, below low B.

oh, and this belongs in _amps[bg]_ , so off it goes.
  8. this guy has a recording studio and a zon you think money was ever the issue?
  9. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    ZULUFUNK, do you love your bag end s15b-d? man I love mine. I am running a fender bassman 100 (76-81) and it sounds great at low volume. I took the port cover off, (since I have my ashdown 2x10) and that cab LOVES big rooms. It was great at church. I love both my cabs because of thier great efficiency. they are deffinantly loud for only being pushed 100watts. I would use this setup for recording, since I get a great warm clean, dirty-if-I-want-it-tone. If money was no object I would get the ashdown preamp, or an SVT preamp and then use some crazy audiophile power amp.

You cant go wrong with Class A amplification...problem is that its
    a. heavy (heatsinks)
    b. expensive (heatsinks)
    benefits-you can heat your studio with them
  10. Money spent wisely is always a good investment.
  11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I do love the BagEnd 15. I liked recording with it. I like to get the deep roundness on the recording.

How about a nice Demeter power amp? That'll do ya.

A bass pod would be a plus too. Especially if I owned the studio - lots of time spent fiddling with the controls means more money for me baby!!!

Power may not be an issue, but I'd rather have some to spare and the price for a 400watt amp vs a 100watt amp isn't that great of a leap.
  12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    How about a vintage Ampeg B-15? A lot of people say that's "the sound" for studio bass recording, at least in a classic sense.
  13. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Id say one of those ancient Ampeg fliptop B-15s
  14. YES!!! If I were in your shoes and money was no object, I'd buy one of these (not the re-issue), and also a Sansamp or POD for more of a mix of sounds. But for anything other than modern, hi-fi sound, the B-15 (all-tube) is THE studio standard. Most pro studios have one of these. You should be able to pick one up used for about $800.

Man, the warm rich tones that thing puts out.....
  15. Another vote for the Ampeg B-15... It's so nice...