1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best amp for rehearsal / small gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Concord, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Concord

Concord

Aug 31, 2001
    I'm looking for a small rehearsal amp that I can also use for small gigs! I was looking at SWR’s Baby Blue (120 Watts 39 lbs) but I found a review that stated it didn’t reproduce low B on a five strings very well. (I play a Roscoe 5 string) I’m looking for something that is very portable (size and weight) but don’t want to sacrifice any sound or power at all. I’m also not restricted by a budget. Any suggestions?

2. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    The sound I heard out of a Polytone MiniBrute IV, 110 watts, single 15", was fabulous: full and deep. The bassist played a 4-string. I don't know what would happen with a 5. They cost about $625 and are very small and portable.

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Euphonic Audio iAMP 800 Combo. A single 12" speaker, it's 500W @ 8 ohms and 800w @ 4ohms. I think it's replacing their iAMP350 combo line. It's a bit heavier than the Baby Blue weighing in at 58lbs, but EA makes some very top notch equipment.

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Acoustic Image Clarus + any small cab like Aguilar GS112 or Bergs, - what ever you'd like.

Clean, clear, absolutely perfect - and only 5lbs.

trust me.

5. Ditto on the EA. It ain't cheap but it does what you are asking for.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good call,

a Clarus with an Aguilar GS112 for your LowB would be like a thick New York Strip steak with extra gravy.

but with the Berg, it'd ooze and shine like caramel gold, tho it'd lack a wee bit low end booty vs the Aggie.

take your pick. :D

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would recommend that Eden Nemesis series.

I use the 2-10 combo, which is great for practices since it's lightweight (for a 2-10 rig), and loud enough to battle with a drummer and two half stacks at normal to loud practice levels.

Its not the best amp for gigging for me since I play in a loud rock band, but it does have a DI for going through the PA, and coiuld probably do just fine at lower volume gigs.

Peace
    Nick

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    MAN you have a way with words bro! Too bad you're all the way on the right coast...

9. I would recommend the EBS Drome.
    150W, 12", low and good sounding with special functions like CD in (for practice) with bass erase, speaker sim, good DI etc.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender Bassman 200