Best amp for rehearsal / small gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Concord, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Concord

Aug 31, 2001
    I'm looking for a small rehearsal amp that I can also use for small gigs! I was looking at SWR’s Baby Blue (120 Watts 39 lbs) but I found a review that stated it didn’t reproduce low B on a five strings very well. (I play a Roscoe 5 string) I’m looking for something that is very portable (size and weight) but don’t want to sacrifice any sound or power at all. I’m also not restricted by a budget. Any suggestions?
  2. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    The sound I heard out of a Polytone MiniBrute IV, 110 watts, single 15", was fabulous: full and deep. The bassist played a 4-string. I don't know what would happen with a 5. They cost about $625 and are very small and portable.
  3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Euphonic Audio iAMP 800 Combo. A single 12" speaker, it's 500W @ 8 ohms and 800w @ 4ohms. I think it's replacing their iAMP350 combo line. It's a bit heavier than the Baby Blue weighing in at 58lbs, but EA makes some very top notch equipment.
  4. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Acoustic Image Clarus + any small cab like Aguilar GS112 or Bergs, - what ever you'd like.

Clean, clear, absolutely perfect - and only 5lbs.

trust me.
  5. Ditto on the EA. It ain't cheap but it does what you are asking for.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good call,

a Clarus with an Aguilar GS112 for your LowB would be like a thick New York Strip steak with extra gravy.

but with the Berg, it'd ooze and shine like caramel gold, tho it'd lack a wee bit low end booty vs the Aggie.

take your pick. :D
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would recommend that Eden Nemesis series.

I use the 2-10 combo, which is great for practices since it's lightweight (for a 2-10 rig), and loud enough to battle with a drummer and two half stacks at normal to loud practice levels.

Its not the best amp for gigging for me since I play in a loud rock band, but it does have a DI for going through the PA, and coiuld probably do just fine at lower volume gigs.

8. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    MAN you have a way with words bro! Too bad you're all the way on the right coast...

9. I would recommend the EBS Drome.
    150W, 12", low and good sounding with special functions like CD in (for practice) with bass erase, speaker sim, good DI etc.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender Bassman 200