Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best amp for Rickenbacker 4003?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kitcar765, Feb 12, 2006.

1. what amp realy complements the rickenbacker 4003 sound?

2. anyone?

3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    In my opinion, Ricks seem to like tubes.

4. Mesa Bass 400

Then go hide women and small children...

5. do they sound good with ashdowns?

6. I would imagine so.. I like their tone description, it sounds like the description of a Mesa to me..cleaner than an Ampeg, yet still a little dirty and earthy...

Paul D'Amour's playing led me to the Mesa..

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. A tube-driven Ric that is pushing the tubes hard produces one heck of a growly tone. I can't think of a better use for a bass tube amp than amplifying a Ric.

A Ric should NEVER sound polite. I'm a personal fan of Geddy Lee's tone on the live album "Exit Stage Left." Cue up the bass solo on "Freewill" and you'll get a taste of what a Ric should sound like. Of course, Chris Squire got a mighty nice tone out of his Ric, too.

8. I was in heaven when I heard my recorded tone in one of our unfinished songs..it was warm when I played softer, but when I dug in, the sound of gritty harmonics pushed their way to the front of the mix..

9. what about a solid state amp with a tube pre amp pedal, like Dave Hall makes?

10. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I like my Sunn 300T with my Rick. Tubes really do bring out the best in a Rick as it didnt sound quite as aweet through my old Sunn 1200S

11. That will probably sound pretty good, but there's something to be said for an actual tube power section..I think it is a big part of the sound..

I'm looking for a cheaper S.S. amp for our practice space, as I got sick of lugging the Mesa(and Eden cab) in my Mustang once or twice a week after working all day, and my Hartke is dying...but it's still light for a Tube amp..I'm just lazy!

I'll probably go for a S.S, amp that can get get dirty, like a GK Backline 600..

12. My 4001 Ric sound surprisingly good through my Hartke B60 Combo, throw in the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and it as good as going through either of my tube amps...go figure

13. to save me the money and matenece costs of a tube amp, do you recon that a tube pre amp, would give it that "growly tone"?

14. I'd try out a GK, or better yet, an Ashdown for that.

Tubes aren't that hard to maintain, though..

15. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Tube amps fade just as fast as solid state amps so maintenence isn't a big deal. I have the original tubes in a 1968 Sunn Sorado so you only need to change tubes when they go bad which takes a lot to do.

My old Sunn 1200S has a tube pre and it was alright but didn't bring the Ric out as well as my tube amps.

It did sound pretty wicked through my Sunn Coliseum 300 (all solid state) though. It just needs good equipment is all :)

And yes I only play Sunn amps

16. would an "electro harmonix- english muffin" sound good with a ric?

17. anyone?

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    the only person on the board that has used one to my knowledge is typlons and he loved his but I don't think he has a ric

19. I heard one, and think you'll get a tone simillar to Cliffy's

20. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I heard a recording of the guy I replaced in my current band - he was using some kind of an old Fender tube head (didn't see it, so I don't know which model) not more than 100 watts, and a cab with a single 15" with his Ric, and it sounded great. So, I would have to agree with others that Rics sound really good when they are plugged into a driven tube amp. But I liked the sound of my Ric into an ampeg B2R/SVT-410HLF, using a pick. The pick can really add some growl. I think it's more "what amp would sound bad with my Ric". How about a Marshall 30 watt Valvestate combo guitar amp. Not good.

Skel