1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Amp for rock and extreme metal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ElBarto, May 31, 2018.

1. ElBarto

ElBarto

Nov 7, 2017
    Italy
    Hello! I need a advice for a good amp!
    I have always played / studied with a combo at home, now i need to join in a band and I want to buy a good amp for play in the studio, live and at home (with tollerable volume of coruse).
    I have a Warwick Corvette 5 strings and a Flea jazz bass and i play from rock to death metal.
    At the moment my choice is the RB-700 II and neo 212 or 2 neo 112 cab (I also like the ampeg sound).
    Sorry for my bad english

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Two 2x12s and stack them vertically. Add an adjustable HPF and you'll be good. :thumbsup:

FingerDub and ctmullins like this.
  3. ElBarto

ElBarto

Nov 7, 2017
    Italy
    Two 212?? For make earthquake? ahahah
    What is HPF?

FingerDub and chaosMK like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    BOOG, Sixgunn and ElBarto like this.
  5. ElBarto

ElBarto

Nov 7, 2017
    Italy
    some other suggestion?
    some owners gk opinions?
    :)

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Ciao ElBarto :)

Welcome to TB!

Good choice! Make it 2 cabs!!!!:hyper::hyper::hyper:

I prefer Ampeg tubes!!!! or the PF800, but GK is cool for metal, so if you like it, go for GK!

No earthquake, no metal ragazzo!!!!!! :D

Hi Stumbo :)

Don' t forget that Europe is the "Dark Side of the Moon", when it comes to HPF :D

Our wine and food is much better! :p

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

edit: ElBarto, we have some cool Italian TB members! I hope they join in!!!

Misfit Wookiee and ElBarto like this.
  7. JtSD619

JtSD619

Nov 10, 2011
    San Diego
    My band plays hard rock/metal. Guitar player uses 8-string guitars, and the drummer has some very heavy hands. I'm using a GK Neo 4x10 ,1001 RBII head, Darkglass pedal. I cut through the mix with ease. Very happy with my tone. #gkallday

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Yes that is the goal sometimes. How many cabs you need can depend how loud the drummer and guitarist are.

Your rig idea sounds good to me. You can always add other pedals (Sansamp VT, Darkglass, etc) for more tone options or overdriven sounds that work well in rock and br00tal music.

ElBarto likes this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender Rumble Stage 800 + matching Stage 210 cabinet.

10. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    I have the GK NEO412 cabinet that I power with various heads, but the one that I use when I jam with my ridiculously loud metal friends (1 Mesa stack & 1 Marshall stack, way loud drummer) is my GK 1001RBII, that head, through that cabinet is absolutely unstoppable. :D:bassist:

I've also used my Genzler Magellan 800 with those guys too...easily as loud as the 1001RBII, and just as angry about it (especially when using the drive channel), but I'd give the edge to the GK head for "Extreme Metal". :thumbsup:

Horrorble and ElBarto like this.
  11. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Whichever decision you make, just remember that high volumes are easier and cheaper to reach with moving surface area. As long as you obey the amplifier's design and stay at or above minimum impedance, get as many matching cones moving as you can. A pair of 8 ohm 2x12 and a 500+ watt amp will be peeling paint off the rafters. Sounds pretty metal to me.

Horrorble and ElBarto like this.
  12. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    well..you are going to get everyones preference here..so mine is ampeg..reeves..and hi tone (like the old hi watt)..and fender superbassman ..I like the non fan units for the studio because no one likes added fan noise on a recording..the glockenklang blue rock also has my attention..

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  13. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    My suggestion would be an Ampeg tube head (or one with tube pre-amp - I use and SVT 4 PRO) and either an Ampeg 810 or 610HLF (I use this one because I prefer 5 string bass) :thumbsup:

Horrorble and basscapes like this.
  14. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    GK. done.

Operation Ivy, JtSD619, Amano and 2 others like this.
  15. ElBarto

ElBarto

Nov 7, 2017
    Italy
    thank you all for the advice!
    from the answers I am more and more convinced to buy gk.:thumbsup:

16. Get out and try your riffs and parts on both G-K and Ampeg gear.

See what YOU like.

I've owned G-K (a pair of original 400RBs) and Ampeg (Currently using Ampeg SVT810e cab, SCR-DI, soon to be adding in the Opto Comp compressor).

That's the foundation of my tone. Everything else is (usually) additive in nature (effects, etc).

Gearhead17 likes this.
  17. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Echoing that more speakers = more volume.

GK for sure. There are other good choices, but your choice is an excellent one. If you want CLEAN CLEAN, whether that's your desired sound or for a pedal platform, move up to the 1001RB

18. Anhg77

Anhg77

Apr 10, 2018
    Chile
    Darkglass Microtubes 900

19. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Long time GK user. Ive owned 1001RBII, 700RBII and a few 800RBs. The 7090RBII is my favorite. Plenty of power. Ive also had both the Neo 212 and a Neo 412. The 412 was amazing but honestly the 212 is plenty. Right now I have a Peavey PVH 212 which is also pretty good but I prefer the GK cab. Also playing Death Metal.

Horrorble likes this.
  20. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah. You're going to need two of those 212's