Best AMP for the money

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PeaceFrog, Aug 30, 2004.

1. PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was wondering, what is the best amp for the money? I hear a lot about AMPEG and SWR, I'm looking to spend about $1000 USD on a decent setup. Is this doable.

Tony :bassist:
  2. Run to your Yorkville dealer and get an XS-400H and one of their 4-10 cabs. Bulletproof, sounds good, and 400 rms of power. For the dollars, way superior to SWR. A used SWR might make sense though. Http:// sells some very nice cabs stupid cheap that sound good.

Peavey isn't bad. They do have this stigma that is largely undeserved lately. They used to have horrid industrial design, but now things like their 4-10 cabs are not bad. Need a lot of power to kick them though.

Behringer has a bass head that is dirt cheap. It is something like 300 watts. Don't know if it is reliable or sounds that good, but it would be loud.
  3. Galien Kruger is cheap, loud, and solid.

Try some of that stuff.
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've gotta second the GK suggestion. You'll be very happy with the sound that this stuff will give you, no matter what type of music you play.
  5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    My vote for GK. 1001RB-II
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's the one!
  8. invest in

trus me that is teh best way to go if you have 1000 just for the head/pre-power i would say go for one of the QSC PLX power-amps, and get a BBE B-MAX pre-amplifier!!!!. tust me that is the best way to go!!!!!!!
  9. sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I have to say go for the xs400H, it has a tone of it’s own which I love as well as being able to dial up any other tone that tickles my fancy and not to mention a killer overdrive. IMHO I think this amp is one of the best amps around not only because of its versatility but also because of the watt/$ values and warranty, it has been a solid amp for me. Go try one out, it made a believer out of me and other people in this forum.
  10. or the yorkville xs400h head it is a great head!

you just would have more power and headroom and clean tone with a pre/power setup
  11. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Go with Pre-Power for sure. You can still get a great tone with one of those setups, and you'll never have to worry about power again.

I recommend:
    • QSC RMX1450 ($400) or RMX850 ($300)
    • A preamp of your preference ($250-$500)

If your budget was slightly larger... I would recommend a Schroeder 1210 cab. It would probably only require you to save up an additional $350 or so.... if your not on a time limit.
  12. well he did say $1000 dollars for a HEAD, he didnt say anything about a cab.

soooooooo depending on how much mooolaaa you have i would get the sschroeder 410 a WSC RMX1450 and apre of your choice.

im really sorry this is my dream rig i have to recomend it to everybody.
  13. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    In my opinion nothing sounds better than the EBS stuff, if you had $1000 for just the head, I'd say go with the 650 (it'll give you some extra power in case you're playing a real big venue).
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Best low priced bang for the buck heads are Peavey and GK.

Best low priced cabs are Avatars, but for a bit more money, Schroeders give you tons of bang for the buck.
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm almost amazed that no one else has mentioned it, but I'm sure glad to. :smug:

iAMP 800

Do some searches on my name and the iAMP 800. I've posted a ton on this amp. If you want a head for around $1,000.00, this would be my first choice.

Another killer choice is the ThunderFunk head, which can be had for slightly less than the iAMP 800. I have also posted a good bit about the ThunderFunk.

In addition to GK, among the mainstream manufacturers, you should check out the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse line, especially if you like to be able to dial in a tube overdrive.

Good luck, Tom.