Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Amp for Under $1,200???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkize you, May 24, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hi ANY suggestion will do, It could be a Combo or head/Cabinet. I play Jazz, Funk, Fusion, and Progressive metal. I use a 5 and 6 string Primarily. Im Looking for something with "THICK" sound at EVERY note.

Good Times

-Tim

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thunderfunk, or a Trace Elliot V6,V8, or Hexa all tube heads!!!

3. Im with BassGreaser on that one, I got V4... Very Cool, All valve...

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    If you up your $1200 price limit to $1354 you can get a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 which will give you the sickest growliest thick notes from Low B to High C on your 6er :). I just got mine, my cabs are to weak for it I need to get mesa cabs just to handle this :). 1 Mesa Boogie watt = 120 other company :).

5. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    MESA BOOGIE!!!!!!!! I have the Walkabout SCOUT teenie little 112 combo 300 watts and it sounds exactly like you describe. You can add another 112 extension cab later or the head pops out and you can use it on a cab. I played mine on my PR410HLF cabinet this weekend and it was extermely loud for 300 watts and sounded great!

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a few months ago, i'd just as quickly would have said Aguilar, but we know that aint happenin'. :meh:

but now, i'll say EA's iAMP800. sounds hifi and HUGE. and the EQ's versatile enough to allow you to dial in whatever you'd like. in the manual, there's actually a "thick tube" setting, and wouldnt ya know, it works. ;) for me, i usually crank the 40hz and 180hz, which give my tone all the fatness it needs.

and aint no thing if it only weighs 18 lbs. :cool: