1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best amp for under 800 advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SCUZMUZM, Mar 5, 2010.

1. SCUZMUZM

SCUZMUZM

Jan 13, 2010
    Morgantown WV
    im sure this question has been discussed a billion times but i was wondering what the best amp combo would be for under 800 bucks? ive been looking at a 'Trace Elliot 715' or maybe an 'Ampeg BA115' a 'Line 6 Lowdown' i love am getting a musicman bongo and i like les claypools sound so maybe that helps....thankyou for any advice

2. I'm pretty fond of my acoustic b410 and my backline 600...

3. SCUZMUZM

SCUZMUZM

Jan 13, 2010
    Morgantown WV
    bump

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Plenty enough budget to buy a *used* bass rig. 300 or more watt head, and a 2x12, or 4x10 cab. Check through the amps forum to see what everyone else is playing, and get some ideas as to what you may like. There's alot to choose from, so best to go out and play through a bunch of stuff, too.

5. Greg75

Greg75

Nov 20, 2009
    Santa Monica
    That Trace looks and sounds good. But I tried a few and couldn't find one that wasn't far too noisy (very loud hiss) for my use.

I'd look for a good deal (used, trade-up promo, etc) on a MarkBass CMD 121P or one of the Genz Benz Shuttle combos.

6. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Do you care about weight?

If not, you could get a great rig with something like an older Peavey Mark IV head and a good cabinet- I don't know what's in the water around here, but for the last couple months there has ALWAYS been one SWR Triad cabinet or the other on craigslist. Must have been six or seven different ones up recently. All $400-500. Probably another 10 cabinets that would do you good all within the last couple months.

7. SCUZMUZM

SCUZMUZM

Jan 13, 2010
    Morgantown WV
    thank you for pointing me in the right direction

8. IMO, a used Mesa Boogie Walkabout for $500 and a used Aguilar GS112 for $300. When you get the scratch together, pick up another GS112 and you'll be set. Amazing sounding rig!!!

9. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020