Best Amp Head/Cab Config. for Small Club type setting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, Sep 17, 2000.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Well, the band I'm setting up is getting ready to play our first gig, and I need a better amp, because all I've been using is a horrid 15w Fender Prac. Amp :) I've tried SWR, Gallien Krueger, etc. and I was wondering what would be the best for a small club setting? I was thinking 200watts min.

So, please, enlighten me and post your ideas :)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say either the SWR Super Redhead or, of course, the Eden metro. Even though I play Eden stuff, I like the sound of the Readhead over the Metro.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    You should probably look at a lot of 2x10 or 1x15 combos. You probably won't need anything bigger and most combos are cheaper than if you get a head/cab of the same caliber.
  4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    What kind of music are you playing?
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

2 X 10 has been mentioned , but I use just a 2 X 8 for small clubs - the EA VL208 which is light and compact and rated at 450 watts. I use it with the Eden Traveler 300 watt version and I think this is the ideal set-up for small gigs - especially if there's an "acoutic" feel. The whole set up is very light - the Eden head is only 13lbs! - and compact. But is well loud enough for this type of gig and the sound is very clear and precise.