Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Amp in 1,000 to 2,000 range period!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    So you just got a promotion & you're feeling silly.
    What amp, preamp\poweramp do you get in the 1K to 2K range?
    Best sound, best "Value" straight up

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Watts or Dollars?

3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Assuming you play Rock, there's no question, Ampeg SVT Classic! Enjoy....... :crying:

4. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    i suggest you look into hartke. Very good makers of heads. Very well priced too, great amps, loud, punchy, warm all the rest of it.

Also look into GK, great sound amps for a reasonable price too.

5. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    For that range, I'd go with an Aguilar DB750!

Tons of power and sweet sound, for sure.. :D

6. Eden WT 550

All-tube
    Perhaps a Demeter Preamp and Poweramp.

Or that Eden 300 watter all tube head.

With your budget, you can get an awesome amp. If I had that kind of budget, I would be looking at tube amps.

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've been dying to try a Read Purity... based on everyone's description, it sounds like I'd really like it. Put that with a QSC PLX, and that would be all I'd need.

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    You will get many different opinions, basically boils to lots of people telling you to get the amp they themselves have, with a few people saying that there is no one best amp for everybody, try some out and decide for yourself.

I've owned lots of amps, including plenty of expensive amps that are other peoples' "dream amps." I've sold most of them and lost a lot of money over the years. I've sold amps that sounded good but were underpowered - I'd consider them loud enough for practice, maybe myself + guitarist but certainly not loud enough for the whole band - and later heard the guy I sold it to call it super loud. I keep wondering if there's an amp better than the one I already have, better in tone, louder, etc., at any price. Guess what? There isn't.

Get a Mesa Boogie 400+.

9. Fealach has good advice above... Try as many out as you can and make your own informed decisions. There's a lot of information here on TB to help you out, but you have to apply the proverbial grain of salt to many of the posts and let your ears help you make the final choice.

Remember that the type of bass and speakers that you choose will also have a big effect on what works best for you. For me, I have sold or traded away quite a few of the greatest amps made over the last forty years and finally ended up with Trace & Aguilar tube amps and EBS & Aguilar SS amps.

In the price range mentioned, I can suggest that the Aggie DB750 would be a good place to start listening.

10. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Its a cool avenue to be down to be able to drop some coin.. I'll be playing through SWR 6x10. I have a GK 1001RB now which isn't bad by any means at 540w. Living in Maine makes it hard to find places so I'm more ruling out expensive amps that stink! But lets make that a new thread!
    Mike

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600

12. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Don't forget to look out for used Walter Woods Ultras, I hear that they're totally killer, "especially for the price"! ;) :D

- Ugly.

13. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of my two amps.

EA Iamp 800 (New or Used) $1259 Brand New/$750 :eek: Used on the classifieds here

or

Aguilar DB680 with a QSC PLX series poweramp. (You'd have to get this combo used most likely).

Brand New ($1359 Brand New + 899 (2402) Brand New = $2258)
    But Buy them Used or Used New Combo
    DB680 Should go for $900-1000 Used
    QSC PLX1602 should go for about 475-550
    QSC PLX2402 should go for about 575-675

The most you would spend for a used combo like that is $1675.
    Not a bad deal.

-POON :D

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My Read Purity and Stewart World 2.1 cost well under $2K. That'd be *my* recommendation. :hyper:

15. I would go all Eden. Warm, smooth, and real fat. I'd do:

Preamp:

-Eden Navigator Preamp

Poweramp

-Eden WT1400 or WT1250
    or
    -QSC PLX1202, or PLX1602

Cabs

-Eden D-210XLT
    -Eden D-215XLT

That would be SO sweet!

16. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Walter Woods Ultra $2175 shipped......

1200 watts @ 4 ohms
    800 watts @ 8ohms

7 lbs......

17. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I don't have any price constraints when it come to buying gear and I have an EA iamp800.

18. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    No no no You got to buy Glockenklang Heart Rock 750 watts or the best : Bass Art Classic Head. I got 2 and never look back. Fat and warm, smooth as silk. I have Aguilar DB 680 and Demeter VTHM 300, never use them anymore !!!!
    Just cannot match the Bass Art !
    Those Aggie and Dem is up for sale ! Mint less then 50 hrs in the studio.

19. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    The Aguilar db750, Walter woods ultra & Eden seem to top the list... Anybody ever sell these amps? Seems common that people have these GAS craves on stuff like this only to sell them a few years later. Anybody own any $1,000+ amps for 3 years or more? I've owned my GK1001RB for 7 years now & still am satisfied with it. Thats clutch testimony ;)

20. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's cause of this web-site and threads like this... :D