1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best amp input for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pc2184034979, Oct 26, 2018.

1. pc2184034979

pc2184034979 Guest

Oct 26, 2018
    Hi Folks, I am well past the sell by date at 76, have played guitar for 60 years (Lead) 45 years as a pro,just got a bass to teach my brother in law. I know a lot of it is down to the player but for straight forward playing, does anyone use any effects to good use. I already have a digitech GNX3000 and an old 505 zoom pedal. I have never taken any notice before but is bass best played through high gain or low gain channel. I have 2 amps a Peavey envoy and a vintage Fender twin reverb. I just have to control myself playing lead on the bass.
    overthehillphil (NO i'm not asleep, ) Scan Phil with Teles0002.

Attached Files:

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi phil cose :)

Welcome to TB! And to bassplaying!

Depends! :D

When you run just your bass into the amp, the high gain channel is probably the right one.

But that depends on your bass! An active bass or a bass with hot pickups can give you a distored sound.

Just check it out! When it distores use the low gain channel.

When you use your pedals and the bass in front of your amp use the low gain input.

That said, I would look for a bassamp! The speakers in your guitar amps are not designed for bass!

You have to be very cautious about your volume, if you don' t want to damage them!!!!

That' s no fun! :(

Even for noodling at home, a dedicated bassamp with the right cab (or a bass combo), will give you a far better result than a guitar combo with an open back!

Today there are a heaps of good and inexpensive options! Feel free to ask!

Nothing wrong with playing lead on the bass!!! :D:thumbsup:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    12BitSlab, Winoman and Double E like this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Use the normal input but try both. Be careful with the levels and avoid going into a mechanical farting sound, it can damage the speakers. A proper bass cabinet that can take the energy in a bass signal really is best. With some guitar amps, you may run out of headroom and go into distortion when using a bass. This is because the power supply may not have enough capacity to reproduce the bass notes. The lower the note, the more energy is required.

Try whatever pedals you have, use what works.

As for closing your eyes when playing, it's a good way to listen. I do it all the time.

BTW, nice teles.

HolmeBass and Wisebass like this.
  4. pc2184034979

pc2184034979 Guest

Oct 26, 2018
    Thanks for the input guys, twas as I thought but don't assume anything.

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Never use the Active channel. It is the same as the Passive with a resistor that will dampen the sound. Just use the Passive and your ears.

6. pc2184034979

pc2184034979 Guest

Oct 26, 2018
    I tried playing with my ears but they soon got very sore I played bass for some time many moons ago although being a lead player and I have a condition that prevents me from remembering things at times.

BadExample, JeffC23, Engle and 4 others like this.
  7. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    so do i...it allows me to focus much better...i close my eyes and picture the fretboard in my mind...as long as both brain calls are on speaking terms it works nicely!

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    We are not alone.

4B8D492D-C38E-42AD-A747-71463AF2436E.

A09ECE1D-169B-4494-9467-74DF9734A4DB.

LYNCHMAN, 12BitSlab, Winoman and 2 others like this.
  9. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    You run a high risk of blowing your speakers and sounding really bad in the process. Get a bass amp my friend.

10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    What do you mean "dampen the sound"?

11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    1/4 inch, use the 1/4 inch input. It's the best one for bass.

:roflmao:

lz4005 likes this.
  12. As far as effects, it really depends what you're playing. You don't need anything, but I would suggest considering the following (in this order): tuner, HPF, compressor.

13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Welcome.

I learned to play on a blackface Twin and still have a 68 Showman Reverb which is basically the head version. The stock speakers in the Twin get pretty excited when you feed them bass. I think it would be pretty easy to damage them if you are not conservative. I put JBL E120s in mine and could run it almost into output clipping as long as I kept the bass control below 4.

I have pretty much always used input 1 and never had any problems, but input 2 will work fine. Input 2 should be lower gain and seems a bit darker and less open to me.

14. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    That's the point... to dampen or rather balance the input so you can hit the preamp with the right level of signal. These are not rules but guidelines however, do what you want I suppose.

15. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    What are you going to be teaching your brother in law? It sounds like you're only just beginning your own learning process with bass.

16. Really depends on the genre and type of band for effects. For most cover bands , which I get the vibe is what the majority of TB members do, effects aren’t really necessary as a lot of folks just pick songs that don’t use much effects. For tribute bands folks tend try to get as close as possible to the original song so if the artist used effects then yeah. An example it would be silly to be in a Tool, RATM, or Muse tribute band if you didn’t want to use effects. Originals really depends on genre. For my originals band I use a very small board with the main pedals being a compressor that’s always on, an overdrive, a fuzz, and sometimes I bring a wild card that’s just for fun. Which can be a chorus, reverb, delay, a synth, or looper.

smogg likes this.
  17. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Yes, OD & chorus can go a long way in a cover band.

18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    You need a bass amp, guitar amps are not designed for BASS..

19. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    :roflmao:

Wisebass, Kukulkan61 and nbsipics like this.
  20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The Twin will sound great as a low power bass amp. It is advisable to disconnect the internal speakers on the Twin and plug in a 4 ohm bass speaker. Use the Speaker out rather than the Ext. Speaker out.

Explanation: The Speaker out is designed to short when nothing is plugged into it. The Ext. Speaker out will only works when a jack is also plugged into the Speaker out.

The back should look something like this.

May14_PG_CLM_AskAmpMan_image1_WEB.

Wisebass, Winoman and HolmeBass like this.