1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Amp power conversion method

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by filevans80, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. filevans80


    Jan 21, 2006
    I've recently bought an American Gallein Krueger 1001 RB-II on ebay. It runs on 120volts / 60Hz. I've live in Australia and need it to run on 230volts / 50Hz. Could anybody tell me what would be the best way to make this happen? As far as I can tell it would be cheaper to buy a step up converter than to get the amp modified. Are there any downsides to running an amp through a step up converter?
  2. You could do that - but the price may not be too attractive, especially considering the amount of watts you'll be sucking through it.
    I've gone through this conversion process myself, with two different amps, and I've found the easiest way is to put a universal toroidal transformer in there, and select the 240v tap. Then just change the fuse. BINGO!
    The last time i did this (on a warwick amp) it cost ~$100 AUD.
    Contact the GK web service, and give them your serial number, you may get lucky and already have a universal transformer in there!

    This way you can use aussie power, and you won't ever need to worry about someone plugging in your amp without the converter and killing it.

    Godd Luck.
  3. billfitzmaurice

    billfitzmaurice Commercial User

    Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Check the manual, download one if you don't have one, most recent vintage amps use dual primary power transformers than can be rewired for 220/240, in many cases by merely flipping an internal switch or jumper.
  4. filevans80


    Jan 21, 2006
    Thanks for your help guys. I just read in another post that the GK 1001RB-II has a universal transformer. Aparently I'll just need to make a couple of jumper pin changes for Australian power.

    Is there anyone who knows how to do this or can point me to a site that shows me how? I don't have warrenty anyway so I wont loose anything from opening it up myself and I've called around my local area and they want to charge me $200 to do it. I think I'm willing to try and do it myself with some good advice.