Best amp set up for a Music Man Stingray

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BEELEZABUB, Mar 9, 2003.

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm looking for a head and cabinet for my Music Man Stingray to play with in my metal band. I'm leaning towards getting a 4x10 cabinet, but I'm still not sure of the brand I should get or the head that should go with it.
  2. diamondsplit

diamondsplit Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2012
    I have HH Stingray. Right now I'am currently using an AMP BH 420 4X10 Hartke XL and Eden 1X18.This is the best combo I ever had you can go with any good 4X10 Stingray Basses sound great with anything. I used Peavey MarkIv Head with those cabinets and it sounded great.I also have a Carvin bx500 1X15 combo w Fender 4x10 and it sounds great Music Man Stingray is such a really good bass I had Ricks Fender Customshop P Bass gibbons you name it I always use my Stingray the most
  3. Welcome to TB.

Yeah, the Stingray is a great bass and sounds good in every good bass rig. Even after everyone post their favorite bass rig here, you'll still need to hear the amps with your bass for yourself to know what you like best, because everyone has different options. Enjoy test driving amp heads and cabinets, that's part of learning and its fun too.

Oh and tell everyone your budget, venue size, loud band or not to loud, if cabinet size and weight matters, etc, so members can make better suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    The_Lucek likes this.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I hope the band hasn't been waiting 11 years for him to choose?

All Hollows EVE!!!! Oooooooooooooooooooooooo
  6. diamondsplit

Jan 13, 2012
    I have used the Stingray on several amps Ampeg SVT2 pro w 6x10 Cab Eden WT 1205 and 800 w 2 4x10 Eden cabs. Both were in studios. I have Carvin BX 500 combo 1x15 and 4x10 Fender cabinet. I also have Peavey mark IV head w hartke 4x10 and Eden 1x18 Markbass TA 500 watt with cabinets listed w peavey Firebass 700 Marshall 1992 bass head aka Lemmy edition with my cabinets. I have to say Ampeg SVT pro 2 is great one of the best amps on the market. I think Eden WT heads sound great there not reliable. The studio that owned it would be repaired at least once a month so they had the WT 800 when it went down. The Ampeg was very reliable they are very expensive and there the best SVT going. I think Markbass sounded great it did not have much head room. My Peavey was loud as hell sounds very good for its time. WT 1205 was a great bass head very easy to dial in your sound reliability was a problem. The AMP BH 420 is unbelievable for what it is I have not even tapped into different sounds. All the pots are perfect and it stays cool. I used the Stingray on wide range of amps and Music Mans are the best in my opinion. I had a G&L 2000 US and Sting Ray is much better.I would recommend a Sting Ray to anyone who wants a really nice bass for 1,500.00 I would get the HH for a few bucks more
  7. Fender Super Bassman / Ampeg SVT-410HLF
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  8. diamondsplit

Jan 13, 2012
    How is the super bassman
  9. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN, JPTR FX North American Distributor
    I think we should answer with the gear that was available at that time to avoid any confusion
    eyeballkid likes this.
  10. JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    A Music Man HD-130 head with the 12AX7 driver tube and a pair of Music Man 212RH cabinets... great in '78.

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    wes virginny
    I hear ampeg is coming out with an SVT PRO series of rackmount amps based off the tube beast. I bet they would sound great with it and be affordable!