Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best amp setup for (2) Berg HT-322 cabs playing harder rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mettec, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Ampeg SVT 2-Pro

7.5%
  2. Ampeg SVT 4-Pro

14.0%
  3. EA i800

4.7%
  4. GK 2001RB

13.1%
  5. Genz Benz GBE1200

13.1%
  6. SWR 750X

2.8%
  7. Seperate Pre Amp / Power Amp combo

39.3%
  8. Other

15.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I posted a simular question lastweek but still would like to get more input on different amp setups that will work for my situation.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    No question: Crest CA9 with your choice of preamp (Epifani Quest II's are being blown out at MF right now, BTW ;)).

Or, if you prefer a head setup, then the Big Daddy Aggie (DB 750).

Tom.

Tom.

3. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    The Aggie would be great except I am already spending about $2000 on just the cabs and have about another $1200 to spare.

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Go with Tom's suggestion of the Crest CA-9 (or CA-12). Great sounding amp with great reliability.
    Corey

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Then $499 for an Epifani Quest II (plus $24 for rack ears and $75 for foot controller), plus a used CA9 for $500-600, and you are in business! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

Tom.

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Tech21 Landmark 600 Head.... :hyper:

Hard rock heaven.... :cool:

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    What about the Ashdown EVO 900? Seems like it'd be a good match.

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Pre/ Power has a ton of flexability, my vote there since you weight doesn't seem like a determining factor at all in this rig :smug:

And why not...

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive been down this road.;)
    I use two ht 322's, db680 preamp and crest ca9 power or
    a db750 with one 322 cab for most of my gigs.

My thought is that if you need, want, two 322's then you should get the power to open them up. IMO a single head doesnt have enough power to run, open up, two 322's (in the case that you need two cabs for volume). I have a db750 as well, and it will run both cabs but if I need more than just using one 322 and the db750, then the pre/power comes out with the second 322.

10. Funky Fatcat

Funky Fatcat

Jul 29, 2005
    I like Yorkville amps because they compliment a spector well.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Here's what you want:

[​IMG]

12. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    If you want to get everything outta your HT322s I'd suggest a CA9. I'm currently running a HT322 and a HT115 powered by a CA9 and coloured by an Eden Navigator. I love the combo!. The HT322 LOVES POWER, a pre/power setup is the way to go with this cab… especially if you are gonna run 2 of them. I’m not sure how many heads could push enough juice through the bergies(maybe a WW). It does take a bit to open that cab up but when it does open up it is one of the sweetest and most musical cabs I have ever heard.

I'm considering going for the 2 HT322 setup myself. I love the tightness and fullness of the cab. It isn't overbearing in any way and with a good amount of power it makes its presence known, stays clear and stays tight and punchy. The crossover is absolutely perfect! Love the bergies.

I'd say go with a CA9 so you can get what you paid for outta those cabs. You won't regret it for an instant.

Just my $0.02

13. My thoughts are a used Alembic pre into a used Crest CA9. Please let us know where you are gigging. I want to make sure I am miles away when you light up two 322s with the Crest.

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Mesa 400+? Find a good vintage SVT or SVT-II for heavy stuff, or a Mesa 400+, or a Eden VT-300. A pre-power route would be good, and if you choose that way there is a nice Aguilar DB 728 on the used forum here. Tubes rule for heavier rock. Of course, that also depends on the style, but its hard to go wrong with tubes :)

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    While I am definitely a big fan of tube amps, IME, the HT series cabs from Bergantino sound their best with high quality solid state amps. They are far from my first choice for a cab to use with tube amps. The NV series, though... :D:bassist:

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I actually think that, at least for my HT 210, the HT sounds pretty good with tubes as well. Not as good as a NV on its own, but nevertheless pretty good. They do shine with SS amps if you like a hi-fi type of tone, but they can get fairly warm with a tube amp on top. Never really played the 322 all that much though... Definately try the cabs with as many heads as you can and see which one you like the best though.

17. Am I the only one jealous of this rig?!

Yowza!!

-Bernie

18. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Well, I'm with the majority. Pre + Big Power is the way to make the Bergies sing. I owned a 322 for a while and absolutely loved it, but I couldn't afford a second one and it wasn't quite loud enough for me to use it alone.

The Crest CA-9 is the amp that Jim Bergantino will recommend to you if you call him up. It's hard to argue with the man who designed such a FANTASTIC sounding cab. But, I didn't think the improvement provided by the CA-9 (over the QSC PLX 2402 that I was using) justified the extra 35 lbs in my rack or buying a new rack; the CA-9 is a full 18 inches deep.

Match your choice of big wattage power with whatever preamp will get you the tone you want. Personally, I use a Sans-Amp RBI. It's decidedly NOT hi-fi, but I think it has a lot of texture and adds something cool to the sound. However, a Bergie and a Crest are 2/3 of the way to a VERY hi-fi rig, so maybe you should check out the Epifani. It's tough to beat at that price...

John

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dangnabbit! :bassist:

20. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Here's what I was thinking; I tried the Genz Benz GBE1200 with my SWR Megoliath 8X10 and absolutely loved the tonal possabilities of this head. I am currently using my backup SWR 350 since my SM-900 has a major problem that is not worth fixing but the 350 is now showing problems. I need to get an amp ASAP but I want it to be something that will work good now and better later when I order the Berg HT-322's. So this is what I thought might work. Buy the GBE1200 and connect the Slave out to a Crest CA9 power amp so I could use the pre-amps of the GBE1200 and power the 2nd Berg with the CA9 amp. This way I get a new amp now and add the Crest when I have my Bergs. Does this make any sence?