Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best amp/spkrs for a Modulus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slinginsix, Apr 25, 2005.

1. slinginsix

slinginsix

Jan 11, 2005
    upstate ny
    I'm curious what amp setups any Moduli owners might have and what setups they prefer to bring out the best from the bass. :confused: :confused:

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Any of the high end cabs work great with modulus, bergantino, epifani, accugroove, etc...
    I personaly like epifani cabs with a modulus bass. It adds just the right "color" to the tone of the bass and is still tight, deep and clear from lows to highs.

It depends on the type of music you like to play.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My experience is with a Quntum 5, which is a bass with a really modern, hard, complex tone. I've found that running through a "flat" or "hifi" amp leaves a bit to be desired with this bass. With an SWR it is disasterous. You need some outboard gear to warm them up IME.

My favorite setup until about 2 weeks ago was an Ampeg SVP-Pro front end (ultra low on, drive-5, bass-8, mid position 2 and level 8, everything else off/flat) , a nice solid state power amp, and either Eden (115+210 XLT) or Aguilar (GS410) cabinets. Now my favorite preamp, hands down, is the Alembic F1-X with this bass. I mean WOW :eek: The alembic does an amazing job of making the Q5 sound warmer and more organic.

I also find that a bit of compression helps tame some of the transients. In a pinch, running through a SansAmp Bass Driver DI will compress and warm the sound up enough to use an SWR type amp.

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I also used a Carvin R600. I agree about the modern, hard, complex tone though. However, my 1996 had P-type EMGs and it sounded pretty warm.

5. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I play my Q5 through an Eden pre-power rig (WP100 + WT1000) and an Aggie GS 212. I used to play an SWR rig with a Warwick and that was OK, but the "hifi" tone from the SWR amp was already present in the Modulus bass. I always considered Edens to be real "wooly" but it is a good compromise between that and the Modulus. Great cutting rock tone.

BTW...shouldn't this be in the "AMPS" forum?