1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesQueen84, May 29, 2020.

1. BluesQueen84

BluesQueen84

Jan 28, 2020
    Hey guys..... what is the best amp to get for a beginner? I have a very small rather cheap one and it’s distorting my sound to the point I’m just fed up.....what’s the difference on a combo amp? Please help!

JC Nelson, MCF and alanloomis1980 like this.
  2. What’s the current amp?

Tone preferences, favorite musical styles?

goals- at home only? Play with friends? Gigging?

Would you like a speaker, or would you consider headphone amps?

GregC likes this.
  3. BluesQueen84

BluesQueen84

Jan 28, 2020
    THIS THING! Borrowed from a friend and I’m grateful to have it but it does not pull my bass tones out like I think it should.... but I’m a beginner so still learning... right now my goals are strictly a good clear powerful sound for learning my theory and rhythm etc. eventually I will gig I already sing but I’ve never had to think about a perfect bass amp... I feel so helpless lol budget is not a problem I buy what I want so lay it on me! Please and thank you so much

Attached Files:

4. BluesQueen84

BluesQueen84

Jan 28, 2020
    0E89CCC2-6A14-49C4-B71D-1B1A0F24478F.jpeg 1BF0BA12-41EA-410E-AA5A-96E44012205C.jpeg 30E7C9FB-5B53-4F6F-A84B-F4764C212649.jpeg My style is country blues and rock, singer songwriter so I guess I need a good multi function work horse.... I’m addicted to bass lol I didn’t expect to love it so much... the bass fell in my lap my cousin needed the money... so I hope this answers here’s a pic of the bass and you will see why this amp is too small to pull it... the power is distorted and it’s throwing me off while I’m learning bass theory rhythm etc

osv, Jim Carr, Guild B301 and 9 others like this.
  5. That looks like it’s probably not even a bass amp, so I’d definitely look at a proper bass amp. ;)

Im thinking you’ll want a combo, as they’re cheaper and simpler. But won’t hurt to research head/cab setups.

Set your budget, and see if you wanna spend all the money now, or buy a little now and save for later.

I’ll use Fender Rumble Line for example, as they are very popular, but you can get similar results with Ampeg, GK, Hartke or Peavey

Practice at home- Rumble 25, 40 or 100. (I have a 25, it’s amazing how good it sounds for $100!)
    Gigging- Rumble 200 (maybe) or 500 (probably.) Or even bigger, if you wanna play real heavy/loud stuff.

Wild card: vox amplug for a $40 headphone amp that sounds surprisingly great.

good luck! :)

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Welcome to talkbass! It's my guess that your next amp won't be the last one. I highly recommend familiarizing yourself with what you like, tonewise. Then start reading about the type of amp you may want, practicality wise. I would start looking in your local craigslist for a Hartke or Gallien Krueger- maybe in the 300 watt range. A "combo" amp is like what you have with the speaker and amp in one cabinet. If you get "separates", you can maybe save the amp or speaker when you end up swapping for an upgrade. There are a LOT of bargains now due to the newer ultralight amps that everyone seems to want.

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. BluesQueen84

BluesQueen84

Jan 28, 2020
    Thank!!!! This helps a lot and explains why I can’t hear my tones omg

pcake and alanloomis1980 like this.
  8. BluesQueen84

BluesQueen84

Jan 28, 2020
    Thank you! Will start looking ASAP!

9. BluesQueen84

BluesQueen84

Jan 28, 2020
    Are you saying no to a combo?

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If you find something that interests you, ask back here for specifics. You can also search these forums or start a new thread.

eriky4003 likes this.
  11. BluesQueen84

BluesQueen84

Jan 28, 2020
    Awesome thank you!

12. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I would recommend the Fender Rumble series as well. A Rumble 25 or 40 would probably be your best bet for a good sounding reliable Bass practice amp.
    I think that is a Peavey guitar amp as well.

pcake, MCF and Element Zero like this.
  13. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Please don't think that combos are bad or lesser quality. Here at Talkbass, we have been trying to fight that prejudice for a longtime. Combos are convenient. It is a single integrated unit. They are perfect for beginners.

14. ZonieBass

ZonieBass Send Lawyers, Guns and Money...

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    You may want to consider the Ampeg BA210. Many features, and will support an external cabinet as well.

15. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That’s not a bass amp at all. It’s more like a tiny PA. It’s not designed or equipped to handle the low frequency of an electric bass.

Any proper bass amp will be a huge improvement.

16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    The Ampeg and the rumble series combos aren't bad options... but whatever you do, I'd consider doubling the wattage people recommend. Otherwise down the road you'll end up doing it anyway. If you ask most bassists on this forum how long they kept their first amp, a lot of them will say about a year or two.

If you're committed, you might as well skip the "beginner amp" and ask what's a good gigging amp. A lot of us look at versatility. Combo amps with an external speaker out, or lightweight class D Amp heads that have a fair amount of wattage. I wouldn't bother with an amp with less than 200 watts, and typically, even in my smallest rig, I don't like to use less than 350 watts. The only small amp I really carry is a 200 watt trace Elf that's just there to use in a pinch, or to help isolate problems. I'm actually considering following the herd and getting one of the bigger combos in the rumble series... at least once the bands can get gigging and I can earn some disposable income.

Dilver, Bent77, Jim Carr and 3 others like this.
  17. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Whatever you get will be a significant upgrade. Good luck!

18. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    What's wrong with starting with a low wattage combo for a year or two and then trade-in for something with more wattage down the road?

falbergo, pcake, LostJohnny and 4 others like this.
  19. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Welcome to TB!
    As others have pointed out, the Peavey is a busking PA setup meant for one vocal and one guitar or keyboard. It is not meant for bass at all. Combos are portable and very good solutions for practice and small/medium sized gigs.

I'm all for working with what you've got (especially if free or cheap for a beginner) but I have to say that the hair band zebra striped Aria is probably not going to go over very well with the country/blues/singer-songwriter crowd. For learning, who cares? But when you start getting gigs you will need something a bit more genre neutral.

Funky Phantom likes this.
  20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

The Roland cubes are well made and feature rich. Not too pricey and they sound good.

Low Down Brown likes this.