Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rock bassist 81, Oct 9, 2002.

1. I am looking for the best amp for $600 or less. I want the most powerfull amp out there for this price. I use a stack system so i just need the head. What are the avantages of a rack system? What is a rack system??? also, what are speakons? I already have a 200 whatt amp, but that isn't enough to keep up with the band i just joined. Please reccemend something...

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wow a 200 what amp? that must sound like this:

:D

seriously though, go here -> http://www.talkbass.com/ampfaq

also - exactly what amp do you have right now? do you like how it sounds?

3. I dunno what's the best value on your side of the Pond, but I just got a second-hand Trace-Elliott 350 watt amp for 200 gbpounds, so that would be within your price range. I expect to be shot down for my choice, but I can now keep up with two effing loud lead Guitars, and a Drummer whose nickname is "Hiroshima". Speakons are the type of plastic "jackplug" that plugs in to the back of an amp or cabinet, that have a spring clip fitted to stop them vibrating out. A rack system just consists of amps and effects units or transmitters, or anything you can plug into, that are basically stripped-down units. Instead of having an amp enclosed in a wooden box, they are just screwed into a flight case arrangement, usually from the front, and covered with a removable front and back for easy access. Try different systems and pick whatever suits YOU.
    Good Luck.

4. i have a 70's Traynor YBA-1 bass master. I like the tone, but recently i have been having to turn it all the way to vol. 2! That is loud. But for some reason at the volume it begians to destort, and i don't understand why. Plus, being so old, i don;'t know how reliable it is. I am in no hurry to upgrade, but i wouls like to soon. Plus my birthday is in november.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get a 2nd hand pa poweramp and a cheap used bass preamp or EQ.

Rack system: Modular components that fit into a 19" case (rack).

Pros: modular, fit into a rack [sic], [relatively] easy and safe to transport, the professional way of handling gear.

http://www.haveinc.com/NEUTRIK/Speakon.htm

I tried the Neutrik site (Speakon inventors) but it's messed up - www.neutrik.com

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Have an amp tech replace the tubes and give it a good cleaning...don't give up on it yet, those amps are sweet! I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands however...

;)

Oh and to our friend who's searching, Yorkville Sound (Traynor) makes amazing bass amps, always have, and while they don't have the high profile other amp manufacturers enjoy, they also don't have the high price tag they have either!:D