Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best AMPEG Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chimaira, May 18, 2005.

1. chimaira

chimaira

Feb 18, 2005
    Hello,

i plan to buy a Ampeg SVT-1000 but i don't know which
    cab i should buy:

Ampeg SVT-810E
    Ampeg SVT-610HLF
    Ampeg SVT-215E

I play a 5-string and i prefer a very deep sound
    without much highs.
    I played a 810E a few years ago and i actual liked the
    sound but i wonder if the 810E handles the low B-string.
    I prefer to have one big cab than two 4x10" or something.
    Thanks for your answer!!

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Bergantino 610. Eden 410, 610, 810, 215.

3. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I don't think you'll be satisfied with the Ampeg 810 if you're playing a 5'er. Go with the 6x10 or the 2x15.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I would have to go with the 6x10 cab

5. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    for 5-string - - - - - PR-410

6. hell_yes

hell_yes

May 6, 2005
    Orlando, Fl
    i played th 6x10 just yesterday and i fell in love with it

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    +1!!!!

Do NOT get an SVT model Ampeg cab if your playing a 5-string. Your just asking for problems. The 810 and 610 would not give you satisfaction when playing your Low B, and the 215 wouldnt punch a lot.

Honestly, you'd be better off going with something like Bergantino, or even Schroeder... but if you insist on Ampeg, the Ampeg cabs that can handle a 5-string the best are the BXT models, and better yet the PRO Models.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think you'd be happy with a Bergantino 610. But if it has to be ampeg, a PR cab would be a good place to start.

9. chimaira

chimaira

Feb 18, 2005
    If the 810E doesn't handle the B-string i wonder why bassists like Byron Stroud (Fear Factory), Paul Grey (Slipknot) or Adam Duce (Machine Head) play a 810E. They tune to B or even A.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Because their cab is probable little more than something to set their head on as most of the work both studio and live is probably done direct.

11. I dunno. I used an 810e with my 5er a few weeks ago and was quite pleasently surprised with how it handled the B. Not much fundamental but it was tight and growly with a nice roundness to it. Cut through very nicely. If you're looking for loads of fundamental, the 810e won't give it to you, though... Personally, I don't think that loads of fundamental is necessary or even advisable for stage sound..... ;)

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

Reason #1: Looks.

Reason #2: You hardly ever hear that cab. All the bands you mentioned are rather large bands that play places with massive PA systems. I saw Fear Factory AND Machine Head both last year.... big clubs... loud PAs... and the bass amp was only used for stage volume. A lot of big label bands with roadies have the same Ampeg 810 all the friggon time.

If your gonna have a rig that can realistically handle your low B at a club with no PA support for the bass, then don't get an 810E. Go ahead and research it on talkbass, and you'll find that the majority of bass players agree. Plus, you probably dont have the roadies to haul around a 165lb cab all the time. :meh:

13. I have the Ampeg 6X10. I got for the reasons most people get it.....it sounds just as good as the 8X10 but is smaller & about 40-50 lbs. lighter. I am however thinking about selling it to get the new BXT 2X10 & 1X15 cabs.

14. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I used to have an Ampeg 610HLF and it had troubles pumping the low end out playing in drop C#.

Now my band plays in drop C and my Hartke VX810 does fine. I know I would not be enjoying myself had I kept the 610HLF.

15. I have no problem playing songs in drop 'C' w/ my Ampeg 6X10. :bassist:

16. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    If you can find a used SVT 1540 cab give it a try. It's got 4 10's on top and a 15 on the bottom in an 8x10 size cab. I play a four so I can't tell you how it would handle a 5, but my guess is you'd be as happy with it as I am with mine. I'll never part with it. :bassist:

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I play in a LOUD Alice In Chains tribute, and play a step down 5 Spector. I use a Mesa tube head and a refurbished "plywood" Ampeg 8-10. It totally RIPS. I get a lot of low end, and I have been through Eden 18s, 2-15s, 4-10+2-10, with 1200 watt heads and this setup knocks them down. The thing with the 8-10 is it's ability to have that "In your kidneys-sound".

18. drjenney

drjenney

May 4, 2004
    The best Ampeg cab I have ever heard, hands down, is the PR 1832HE. Deep doesn't begin to describe it: deep, smooth, clear w/o harshness from bottom to top. It's big and heavy, though it has wheels on the back and a handle to move it. Don't count on putting it in a subcompact though, or even a sedan.

Dr. J